Fridge Fan Mod Help! FL

RumbleStrip

Apr 1, 2011
Ok i think i've read every post on here about the fan mod and i have a question, i hope someone can help me with.

Not only do i want to hook it to DC is it possable for it to run off AC power also when i do have places i can hook to? will the dc charge while hooked on a power source and i wont have to worry about any drain?

Sorry for the noob questions just learning all these popup tricks and being a new popup owner being in florida that fan mod is a awsome idea and my fridge needs all the help it can get [SUN]

FC

Central Florida
Apr 2, 2007
Apopka, Fl
Just go to a supply warehouse and get the 110 volt computor fan and the same version in a 12 volt. That and a few small electrical supplies is all you need.

colemanpup

mods: never leave well enough alone...
May 13, 2009
Sunny Florida
two fans(ac & dc) sounds like overkill. when NOT on shore pwr, your converter draws from your battery and the fans are run on dc pwr. when on shore pwr, the converter converts ac to dc and you still run the fans on dc pwr. either way, the fans should be hooked up to the converter for pwr. easy peasy...

Snow

Super Active Member
Jul 19, 2007
Ontario
Yeah, you'll only need a 12 volt dc fan ... Like colemanpup said, the converter will run the 12 volt fan whether your on Shore Power or just running on the battery ....

mrootes

2009 Rockwood Freedom 1940LTD
Mar 4, 2009
Noblesville, IN
agreed with the others - your fridge never sees 110VAC. The power is coverted before it gets to the fridge. Get 12VDC powered fans and tap into the 12VDC wires located at the back of the fridge.

Snow

Super Active Member
Jul 19, 2007
Ontario
mrootes said:
agreed with the others - your fridge never sees 110VAC. The power is coverted before it gets to the fridge. Get 12VDC powered fans and tap into the 12VDC wires located at the back of the fridge.

Well if it is a 3-way fridge it does see 120v ... but that is only if your using it set to 120v and are on Shore Power...

jmorris

Jun 8, 2010
What if you dont even have a power converter?.... i havn't seen a need for one on mine. The only thing that runs off the battery is my lights. Everything else including fridge runs either 120v or gas....... so how would one tie that into the system? Just use a 120v fan and tap into the 120v line?

RumbleStrip

Apr 1, 2011
yeah it is a 3 way fridge... i bought 2 dc fans, i do more boondocking then hooking up to Shore Power. Maybe when i find a good deal on a ac unit that could change... but i do have a coleman cooler that came with a cord to 110 and plug the dc lighter plugin on the other end. maybe i could work it that way, thats if i didnt toss it .

hakrjak

May 20, 2010
With the fan Mod, do any of you guys run into where the fridge gets so cold it freezes your stuff? Mine can do that anyway depending on a few factors...

- Hakrjak

Sushidog

Jan 8, 2008
New Orleans
Yep, mine will freeze milk and OJ on 4. I've never needed to go to 5. I would basically have 2 freezers and no fridge. ;)

See the other fridge fan post for my set-up.

Chip