Fridge/ heat not working

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by Southpaw, Sep 11, 2018.

1. Southpaw

Southpaw New Member

Hi everyone, I just got a new to me pop up. The woman I bought it from never ran the fridge off of propane, and said she only used the heater a few times. The fridge’s pilot won’t stay lit even if I hold the knob down for upwards of two minutes, as soon as I let go it goes out, and the heater doesn’t do anything (no blower or clicking at all) but when I set the temp a little red light flashes from behind the grill. After 20 seconds or so it flashes every few seconds. I looked it up and it’s saying it’s a limit switch/ air flow problem. I don’t have a stove so I can’t lite that to see how the propane is working, but could these two things not working be connected? I have tried two different propane tanks also. Any help is appreciated

2. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Could be a propane issue. You just bought the camper, are you sure there's propane in the tank?

3. Southpaw

Southpaw New Member

Yeah I changed it out to a tank that I had and was just using so I don’t think it’s that

4. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Could be the regulator, dirt or anything in the line (like a spider web).

Concentrate on what you were told had worked at one time, the furnace.

What is your current power source, battery or shore power?

5. Southpaw

Southpaw New Member

I tried it on both, there’s no battery in the pup but if I hook it up to my tv it takes power from that, and I also tried it using an adapter to plug into my house. Both did the exact same thing for the heater. I even just tried a third propane tank and tried lighting the pilot on the fridge and it’s the same

6. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

It does sound like it's a flow issue.

7. Southpaw

Southpaw New Member

Ok, I’ll try changing out the regulator and see if that hopefully works. I also ordered an adaptor to run my normal camp stove to the quick connect so I’ll know better then too. Thank you

8. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Look up limit switches, they might be resetting or manual . It's a button to prevent rollout of the flame. There a pita. Look up your model heater , bypass the switch if it dosent reset. See if it works , then buy a new switch.

9. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Keep in mind that it will take some time to get the air out of the lines, and every time you change a bottle just adds to this time

10. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Also you may want to see if anything crawled up the propane line and made a nest first. If there is a nest it would prevent enough flow to get to the devise you are trying. Also air in the lines take a while to work through so you may have to keep trying many many many times especially if you don't have a stove to help. Like mentioned above every time you switch the propane out it adds more air in the line and you are starting all over again to push it through.

11. Southpaw

Southpaw New Member

Ok. Thanks for the replies, I am going to change out the regulator and put a completely full tank on it and I ordered an adaptor to run my camp stove off of it and I’ll test it all again after that. Hopefully that does it