Fridge in Camper

Discussion in 'Refrigerators and Coolers' started by CChentfant23, Jul 29, 2020.

1. CChentfant23

CChentfant23 New Member

Does anyone have luck using their fridge on the pup? I’m struggling with the fridge getting somewhat cold to store my cold items.

2. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member

many folks struggle (we did) getting a frig cold and some folks have no real issues. Its variable. There are oodles of posts here going over the causes and effects of poor cooling , read a few of them to get a sense of the problem. And keep the door closed tight :) [we found that out the hard way on our house frig-freezer]

3. Blackripley

Blackripley Active Member

If you leave the camper's fridge to do all the work on its own it will take a couple of days to get cold. The day before we go we turn it on and put in a couple of frozen 2-liter bottles into it pre-cool the thing. That seems to work for us.
    Once everything is cold it is a lot less work for it to maintain.

CChentfant23 likes this.
  4. MNTCamper

MNTCamper Well-Known Member

Ours works great, we can freeze lettuce if we are not careful. Make sure that the working parts in the back are clean - baffles, chimney, burner tubes... They run well on propane and sip fuel.

xxxapache likes this.
  5. generok

generok Well-Known Member

Agree, each fridge has its own personality and preferred run. Some run best on 120VAC, some on LP. Some take 8 hours to cool down, other 36 hours. Mine ran great on LP, but not well at all on 120VAC. It also was a pain to light the flame, and it blew out while in motion (controversial topic - warning). But, once I got it lit, it cooled like an bandit and froze our milk if we weren't careful.

Clean it out, check all the usual culprits on the forums here, and let it sit level and run and put in a fridge thermometer. Find out what it does over the long run on both 120VAC and LP.

BTW, none of them run well on 12V and that's just a battery drain anyway.

Good luck!

Arruba likes this.
  6. jonkquil

jonkquil Active Member

I found I definitely had to pre-cool the fridge in my Fleetwood Westlake. I would try & plug it in & turn it on at least 48 hours before heading out. Then fill it with food about 2/3 hours before leaving, adding a few ice packs also. If the drive wasn't too long and I had electricity at the campground, I would switch it to 12v during the drive only or leave it off with the door tightly closed, they are well insulated so should hold the cool. Once at the campground I found LP Gas worked the best. Have you played around with your fridge, pre-cooling, running it on all sources, testing temps?

Blackripley likes this.
  7. Grandpa Don

Grandpa Don Well-Known Member

I've had very good luck with my Fridge. I did do some maintenance and mods to it to make sure it worked properly. Aside from making sure the burner and chimney were all clean, I added three ventilation fans to the rear of the Fridge that insures the fins are kept cool. It will cool down overnight. The only problem I have with it is regulation the temperature in varying outside temperatures. Recently on a camping trip in the high mountains I had the dial set to the normal range. The inside temp was about 37 degrees. But then it snowed overnight, and in the morning I had frozen water bottles and an inside temperature of 18 degrees. So you sometimes have play with the settings to maintain what you want.