Fridge not working on 120v

Martin Ouellette

Apr 22, 2017
Hi,
I have a Coleman Cheyenne 2003 and I have problem with my dometic rm2193.
It is a 3-way fridge and it is confirmed functionnal on propane and on 12v.
I do some circuit testing :
- I have 120v on the plug when the fridge is connected
- I have 120v just below the green switch (ON/OFF)
- I unpluged all the accessible wire (on the 120v switch and on the 12v switch) and I sprayed electrical contact cleaner.
I am stuck what to troubleshoot next. I was looking to remove all the "switch panel" to correctly get access to all wires, but because the propane hose are connected there I stop the project.
I think my next step should be to test the element.
Any tips to help me continue my troubleshooting ?
thanks

Attachments

• 2020-06-08_16-28-21_303.jpg
    2020-06-08_16-28-21_303.jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 17

neighbormike

Super Active Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2012
WI
No tips, but if there is 110 to the fridge I would guess bad element. Personally, I would just run it on lp, as they generally function better anyway.

Anthony Hitchings

Super Active Member
Silver Supporting Member
Mar 2, 2019
Oakland, California
maybe...take the 120V switch out of the panel, open it up (yes, it can be done) and see if the insides are OK. I would do this only if the 120V heating element did NOT show open circuit when tested by itself.

I had to remove my entire frig from my PUP to do this - not enough clearance in-situ. And I found that carbonized wasp nest inside the boiler "chimney".

Bo Rizzo

Mar 9, 2021
I learned the hard way, that running a fridge on 12V is a great way to kill your battery FAST! In fact, I killed both batteries, the one for the PUP and the one in my car (both new) by leaving the fridge on 12V while I slept in the motel. First night of my maiden voyage with my new PUP and I woke to two batteries that didn't have enough juice left in them to run a DOME LIGHT! Lesson learned!

Since then, I've read from several people on this portal: DO NOT run your fridge on 12V, except when your tow vehicle is running, so that the battery is being charged simultaneously. I suppose you could also run it on 12V in you have a generator that puts out 12V with the appropriate amperage. My fridge demands 9.6 amps @ 12V.

I'll tell you: those 'hard learned lessons' seem to stick with ya pretty well! :rolleyes: