Fridge on 12v

Discussion in 'Power - Site Power/Batteries/Generators/Solar' started by Whopper14, Aug 27, 2018.

1. Whopper14

Whopper14 Member

Had pup set up at home for guests. Hooked to shore power, mis-takenly flipped 12v switch instead of 120v switch. Should I expect bad consequences? I'm thinking the inverter worked a little harder for a couple of days.

2. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

The thing you ready don't want to do is run the refrigerator only on battery power. It is a power hog and draw the battery down in no time. With your camper plugged in it doesn't matter, but will cool better on 110 VAC house current.

3. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

an inverter changes 12 v to 110 volts. A converter changes 110 v to 12v DC to run the 12v lights etc. and in most cases charges the battery. But the reefer running on 12v would quickly
    run the battery down

4. Customer

Customer Well-Known Member

It probably worked your converter hard but should not have done any harm.

Unlikely you have an inverter.

5. SpecialGreen

SpecialGreen Member

I assume that you mean you were plugged into 120v AC power at the time. Flipping the 12V switch on my fridge draws a pretty constant 7 amps. My old, tiny battery charger puts out 12 amps. So I would expect that the charger would put-out 7+ amps without a problem.

6. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

We always pack a couple of frozen milk carton filled with water sitting inside our fridge.. By the time we get to where we are going it is pretty nice and cold inside. The last hour of the drive I sometimes kick on the 12VDC for the fridge.

When we get to the camp ground then i get to use the two gallons of now unfrozen water for cooking and making coffee etc around the camp...

Roy Ken