Fridge vent cover missing?!

Discussion in 'A-Frame PopUps' started by Enigmacamper, Aug 1, 2018.

1. Enigmacamper

Enigmacamper Active Member

Howdy all! Came back from weekend trip and found today one of the two vent covers behind the fridge is missing!!! Not sure how long it's been gone but surely it was there when we left.

Anyway, questions are #1 anyone know how I can get a replacement? (it's a 2017 Scout).
    #2 Since our Scout is electric only (no propane), and the fridge is a normal dorm fridge type do we actually NEED the vents? Could they be sealed up (like taping tarp on the inside or something) to avoid bugs/pests/temperature loss without compromising the fridge or overheating the tarp?
    #3 any tricks for keeping these from falling off? What a pain ;)

Last edited: Aug 5, 2018
  2. MrBill12

MrBill12 Member

#1: These are VENTS, not vent covers. They should be standard sizes available from most RV dealers or Amazon. Just measure and order one.
    #2: The vents ARE necessary, because they allow for VENT-ilation of the heat build-up from the back of your refrigerator.
    #3: Someone must have turned the latches the wrong way, which are required to secure the vents. The latches are found on the bottom corners of the vents. I use a coin to turn mine. It only takes a clockwise quarter turn to secure the vents or a counter-clockwise quarter turn to unlatch the vents.

Hope this helps!

bols2Dawall and Rik Peery like this.
  3. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

4. Enigmacamper

Enigmacamper Active Member

Ok, ordered one from Aliner (over $40 I think, ouch).

I guess I don't understand why the ventilation behind the fridge is important? Fridges in houses don't have vents behind them, dorm fridges neither...that's all this one is after all. Am I missing something else? Is it because it's pretty "built in" that it needs it?

Rik Peery likes this.
  5. Rik Peery

I'm thinking due to the location (confined space) & less circulating air as opposed to a home fridge but not positive, hope MrBill knows; I remove my vent covers & check weekly/biweekly for nests, found a small thin partial opening in the upper left vent side around some tubing, gonna stuff that w/ steel wool this fall, it wasn't completely sealed w/ Great Stuff from the factory...***wife asked the dealer about covering the vent covers w/ screening etc, he said negative, leave 'em as is...

6. DiamondGirl

DiamondGirl Aliner adventures in AZ Diamond Supporting Member

I lined my fridge vent covers from the inside with window screen. This prevents insects from entering through the large vent openings.

It was very easy to do with the following materials:
    • window screen material
    • scissors
    • School ruler
    • hot glue gun.
    My other vents have stainless steel insect covers. The previous owner installed them before we got her. They did a great job.

We have owned our Aliner for four years with no bug intrusions so far.

Happy Camping...[ALPU][PUT]

Fbird and Rik Peery like this.
  7. Rik Peery

Lol, found a small roll of window screen this afternoon in the laundry room in a corner while looking for a lost sock, may do the same...