Fridge ventalation

Discussion in 'Refrigerators and Coolers' started by Grandpa Don, Sep 1, 2019.

1. Grandpa Don

Grandpa Don Active Member

My RV Fridge is a Dometic RM2193. When the weather is cooler it works well. But when the outside temperature goes up, so does the temperature in the Fridge. On shore power at night the temperature in the Fridge got down to 28 degrees. So I know the system is working properly. Two days ago the outside air temperature was 99 degrees and the Fridge could not get any colder than 56 Degrees late afternoon. Much too warm for food storage.

So I installed one ventilation fan to help draw hot air out of the rear of the compartment. In another test, the Fridge got down to 50 degrees when the outside air temp was 104 degrees. Still much too hot for food. So today I installed two more fans that are mounted directly below the coil fins and blowing air up into them. The weatherman says that it is going to get up to 107 degrees today. So I'm anxious to see what the additional fans will do.

I'm not concerned about battery drain or noise inside the camper. I can barely hear them running when inside. And If I have the fans turned on I have Solar panels to keep the voltage up in the battery. I also have a generator is necessary. I just want safe to eat food!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
  2. NMroamer

NMroamer Well-Known Member

Great idea for the fans but you would be better off with a cooler and lots of ice. They are heat absorption units and not capable of real cooling like a refrigerator.

3. Grandpa Don

Yes, I know they are not very efficient, but I wanted to try anyway. On my last camping trip I had two ice chests. One is one of those fancy ones that you can even put a lock on it. I filled it with ice before I left and there was still ice in it when I got back home in two days later. The other chest is a WalMart special. It's okay, but not as good. The Fridge itself is too small to put a lot in it. Maybe Butter and eggs and a few other items.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
  4. SHFL

SHFL Active Member

Nice fan set up.
    Cleaning the cooling fins and pipe may help you get even cooler.

5. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member

and the problem at hand is exactly why I removed our Dometic and installed an Engel in the space left behind. Its a bit clumsy, but works great. Which we power with solar panels.

6. Grandpa Don

Tell me more!

7. Grandpa Don

As part of my routine maintenance I pulled out the burner assembly and cleaned it up. It was a bit dirty.

SHFL likes this.