From Michigan To the Grand Canyon

Discussion in 'Let me tell you about my trip' started by mbauer23, Jul 26, 2015.

1. mbauer23

mbauer23 New Member

Hello!
    We just bought a little pop up, or PUP as I've seen them referred to on here (what's the last P?) We are planning a one month trip out West from Michigan to the Grand Canyon through Mt. Rushmore, Yellowstone, Sequoia National, and anywhere else fun and exciting on the route. The big trip is planned for late Summer, early Fall of 2016. Does anyone have any must sees?
    Thanks!!! [PU] :)

2. Jimmy the rug

Jimmy the rug New Member

Sounds like a great trip, Lots to see and do, Have a great time and enjoy!

3. friartuck

friartuck Well-Known Member

Check RockyRoo's Great Western Adventure thread, they are heading to/from Mt. Rushmore even as we speak [;)].
    (Pop UP)

4. haroldpe

haroldpe Campin' Engineer

Get plenty of "practice camping" in before the big trip :)

5. MNTCamper

MNTCamper Well-Known Member

There will be plenty to see for sure. The first thing I would do is sit down and open a mapping app like Google maps and a spreadsheet. Do some looking at the miles to drive and the time and the days you want to spend in each area and make sure that you can spend enough time seeing each area and enjoy it. It is a long way between the places you have listed and may be too much for one trip - even if you have a month. Getting to the West side of the Sierras is almost a trip unto itself. Yellowstone needs 5 to 6 days to see it all, black hills is another 4 or 5. I think you will easily fill your month up staying east of the Sierras. I would think more in terms of SD, WY, MT and ID together for a trip and then CO, AZ, UT and so on together for another trip. There is a to see out there, but you don't want to be so rushed that you can't take the time to enjoy each area, especially if you are not likely to get out there again for a long time if ever.

6. novagirl

novagirl retired camper

Devils Tower is cool. We loved Cody, WY too.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk HD

7. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I couldn't agree more. We're going to Yellowstone in August. When we first started thinking about it, I thought we could do Yellowstone and catch Mount Rushmore/Black Hills on the way home. But after doing some research, we realized there was just too much to see and do so we decided to save the Black Hills for next summer.