Front bunk sags/droops after rebuild.

Discussion in 'Slide-Outs / Bunkends' started by alm99, Jun 29, 2016.

1. alm99

alm99 Member

I just completed the rebuild of my camper, sans the roof, link to the thread in my signature. Right now I am puzzled, when I pull the front bunk out with the bunk supports in place the bed sags downwards. I slowly put my weight on it and it held, but can't figure out why it is sagging. There is no noticeable bend in either metal support bars and I have the metal stops in bed rails so it doesn't pull out all the way. The backend doesn't do this, pictures below.

Before the rebuild the front would sag down and the door would pop open with any weight on because the floor was rotten and deteriorating.

Front:
    [​IMG]

Back:
    [​IMG]

2. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Maybe you mounted the anchor points too far back.

3. alm99

alm99 Member

Not sure what you mean, what anchor points? The support bars hook into the metal frame and the aluminum bars slide onto the wall via bracket.

4. tombiasi

OK, on some units the support bars fit into anchor slots. At any rate, the supports look too short. I don't think they shank so the mounting has to be different than before. Front too high, fastened too far back, etc.

5. alm99

alm99 Member

I went out and took another look, I adjusted the bolt that connects the support bar and the aluminum bar together and moved it all the way back, probably 1/4" as far it would go. This seemed to help some. I think I might drill a hole a 1/2" back which I would place the bolt through to level it out.

After bolt adjustment:
    [​IMG]

View from the top looking down at support bars anchored to frame:
    [​IMG]

This is where the supports bars mount to the frame, the slots look bent out compared to the slot right behind it which is flush. Are they supposed to be like this or did a really a previous owner exceed the weight limit?
    [​IMG]

6. tombiasi

The more you move the supports toward the camper the less support you will have beyond the anchor point.
    If you see some previous damage I would make new supports to properly support and level the platform.

7. R00

R00 Active Member

If the issue was more pronounced before your rebuild it could be that stresses on the rails caused some misalignment.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

8. adrianpglover

adrianpglover Well-Known Member

On a lot of pop-up designs as you put weight on the bunk closest to the door it will rack the body some, pulling the door opening wider slightly. Could this be happening to you?

9. daveman

daveman Member

Hey alm99, this is huge deja-vue for me. I had an 88 Starflyer with the exact issues....rotted floor, door that popped open, and cabinets that bent up when lightweight kids hopped into the bunk. Oh, and after i fixed those issues, my front bunk still sagged too.

Years of use with the poor floor/rot caused the support pole mount holes to bend outwards just like yours....too much weight being held up over time. I had a welder bud repair the tongue pole mounts and that almost fully returned the bunk to level. He did reinforce the mount as well somehow to keep it from bending outwards again.

Dave

10. adrianpglover

adrianpglover Well-Known Member

Looking back at the pictures I'd have to go with daveman. Looks like either where the top pole mounts to the body has bent outwards some or the poles are fitting too far in the holes on your A-frame due to the enlarged size, which effectively reduces the length of those poles.

Without the bed pulled out but with the support poles in place, does it look like the top of the support poles line up correctly with the main box or do they sag by themselves?

11. alm99

alm99 Member

I am thinking this might be the issue. When I drop the poles into the tongue mount they seem to slip in farther than they should once the bed is slid over them. I will need to take a look at the back end frame mount to see if they bend outward or are flush since the back end is level.

The top aluminum rails fit the wall slots just fine and if I don't slide the bed out it will be close to level, but the moment the bed is slid out the poles will sag. I think because the support pole slides into the tongue mount a little further with the weight.