Front Stabilizer Jacks

Discussion in 'Stabilizing Your Camper' started by lynnmarie0123, Jul 6, 2020.

1. lynnmarie0123

lynnmarie0123 Active Member

Front Stabilizer jacks dont they come standard on most pop ups? If not how come? Seems odd to me that if theres 2 in back to level it side to side there should be 2 in front also and to help balance side to side weight up front? Am i missing something? And, where to buy them? Do they need installed? Can i just use 2 jacks that i place there by hand each time i set up? (Front End) thank you!!

2. Caper

Caper Member

stabilizers are not for levelling they are only for stabilizing. My brother had a pup that didn't come with stabilizers in the front and he used camper jacks to stabilize his.

xxxapache and Sjm9911 like this.
  3. Tom Jordan

Tom Jordan Active Member

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Camco-Olympian-Aluminum-Jack-Stand-2-per-Box-44561/205518965

When I was a kid, these are the stabilizers we had for our camper (except ours were steel). This is what I would probably go with, if I were not going to mount stabilizers. However, you need to check the clearance underneath; plus, if you camp in mountains, you may have a sloped spot where one end of the trailer is very close to ground when level. In that case, small Low profile scissor jacks would work as stabilizers. For those, I would look I’m my local junk yard in small foreign cars.

4. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Only use the stabs to level if you want to potentially damage the frame.. they are fir stabilizing the trailer, hence why on small 8ft box pop ups there are only two on the rear. Easy to add a set to the front or use stack Jack's.

Fyi, you level the trailer side to side by placing, wood planks, Lynx Levelers, Anderson leveler under the low side tire, then pull or back up the trailer onto them. Or use a bal leveler after you unhitch.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  5. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

The trailer is more stable with 4 stabilizing jacks. Our first popup only had two originally anyway, and they were broken by the time we owned it. We had the stack jacks and they worked well. Second popup had 4 stabilizers, which improved when we added sand pads, even more when we began putting the stabs on Lynx blocks in some places - on soft surfaces, the blocks keep the stabs from sinking a tad.
    When we bought our 17' TT, we were surprised to learn that the front stabs were an option, which our dealer had ordered as part of their standard package.

6. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

Wish people would not used the term "stabilizing jack". It is misleading. They are just stabilizers. The term is in my Aliner "Owners Manual", too.

NMroamer likes this.
  7. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

I think I use the term jack because it cranks up and down. I know well enough it's not for raising a camper.

xxxapache and Sjm9911 like this.
  8. generok

generok Well-Known Member

The short answer is absolutely, if you want front stabilizers, by all means buy some and install them. You have a few choices, but I'd stick with the same type you have in the back of your rig so it's all the same. You have crank down scissor type, drop leg type, jack-stand type (unattached to rig), "C" jacks, etc. Each attach in their own way, and have their own bolt pattern and mounting footprint. You'd need to get under your rig, size up where you can mount front jacks, and order the stabilizers you want. Then drill some holes and bolt them on. If you can weld, well, that could be better. Or, like you said, you can go with the jack stand route and that requires no mounting, just identification of an appropriate point to put the stabilizers on your frame or subframe.

Yes, it may make the rig more stable if you're getting movement. A BAL jack might help too by keeping the tire more secure.

My PUP had drop leg jacks at all four corners.

Good Luck!

9. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Yep, pretty common for the smaller pups to only have rear stabs. You will probably see some wobble though. I have a bigger pup, and still had some bounce until I added the BAL leveler on one side, and the BAL wheel chock on the other. Pretty solid now once I get it set up.

Do you have a manual for yours? Read it, and if you don't have one I bet there is one for a similar model from your manufacturer. They tend to be generic anyway - the one for mine didn't even have reference pictures of my camper, it used a much older style.

How are you planning to level your pup? You will need blocks, a BAL leveler or an Andersen style one.

10. davido

davido Active Member

How are people being sold RVs without getting told the stabilizers are not for leveling?

1. Level your trailer side-to-side by putting blocks or a BAL leveler under the low-side wheel.
    2. Level your trailer front-to-back by adjusting the trailer's front jack.
    3. Lower your stabilizers to make firm contact with the solid surface below them. Don't lift your trailer with them.
    4. Raise the roof.
    5. Pull out and prop the bunk-ends.
    6. Pull out the slider.
    7. Swing up the galley.
    8. Install the door.
    9. Set up the table.
    10. Connect the shore power, water, and drain hookups if any.
    Notice that step 3 involves the stabilizers, whereas step 1 and 2 do not. If you use your stabilizers for leveling, you'll damage your trailer, its frame, or the stabilizers.

As for the original question: I think all popups have stabilizers in back, particularly to prevent the thing tipping backwards when you lay in the back bunk. Most popups have stabilizers in front too. Some smaller popups may not, and instead would rely on the front jack. For those popups, it probably wouldn't hurt to install stabilizers if the frame can accommodate them; they'll keep things from jiggling around as much when you move about the cabin.

11. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Maybe when they stop saying HOT water heater, plug for outlet, AC for A/C and many others.

neighbormike, WrkrBee and Sjm9911 like this.
  12. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Easy - a lot of dealers are no longer doing pups. Many traditional manufacturers stopped making them in the last couple years. I would wager that a good number of RV salespeople have not been in the job that long, and are unfamiliar with a pup. The salesman who gets saddled with selling a pup, especially a used one, is likely the junior one on staff anyway. If they sell primarily bigger trailers and RVs, many of them have frames and jacks designed to level.

Private party sellers - many quite frankly never knew what they were doing was wrong. When I bought mine several years ago I had sellers tell me that the stabs were for leveling - even saw one that was set up for show and the wheel was almost off the ground - whole thing had been raised up to level by using the stabs. Especially over the last couple years there have been more people picking up a pup, using it for the season and then dumping it, and doing it all over again, or moving straight up to a TT. They don't have it long enough to really screw it up to where it is noticeable, and then they pass their lack of knowledge off to the new buyer.

Best thing we can do is to keep educating new owners - there are a ton, especially this year, who are getting into pups for the very first time, and have zero knowledge on how to use it, or any RV for that matter. Many are making the decision to get a pup only within the last month or so, and haven't had the time to really do the kind of research most of us did years ago when we bought ours. With the market so hot right now, they have to make a snap decision on buying one when they see it, increasing the risk of a lot of fixer uppers falling into the hands of brand new and likely unprepared owners. Personally I want to see them enjoy the experience, grow and continue to make memories with their pups, camping, traveling or whatever rather than get super frustrated, give up and leave.

13. Steveo4090

Steveo4090 Well-Known Member

14. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

We like to make you cringe [:D][LOL] i couldn't resist. And i do say hot water heater all the time.......:(

neighbormike and Steveo4090 like this.
  15. tombiasi

Really doesn't bother me that much. What makes me cringe is when I'm teaching one of my other classes and they call a magazine a clip.

neighbormike, Steveo4090 and Sjm9911 like this.
  16. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

Honestly either of those is acceptable. One doesn't say Air/Conditioning so "A/C" is more of a convention than a requirement, to help distinguish it from AC (Alternating Current) power.

17. tombiasi

There are posts going back years. We have agreed A/C is air conditioning.

18. Kyle R Thorson

Kyle R Thorson Member

My '06 Fleetwood manual actually says to raise the roof before deploying stabilizers. It seems backwards to me but it has something to do with creating uneven tension while raising and lowering the roof so I have heard.

19. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

Fleetwoods and Colemans recommend this. I think it has something to do with the huge screw thread that makes up the lift system. Other lift systems don't have this screw so it isn't important. My Palomino's manual says stabs first.