Front storage bin leak concerns

Dave Fro

Sep 21, 2020
That edge seal looks nice, mine doesn't have anything like that on the lip at all.
Which reminds me, my lid doesn't fit the opening lip properly, the gasket that is on the lid doesn't made up with the opening lip at the front edge. Dealer tried to fix it, but in the process probably caused a bunch of cracking of the material that makes up the top of the box, and didn't end up getting the gasket to mate with the lip. So the gasket overbites the lip by a fair bit, so the actual lid sits on the opening lip, instead of the gasket. I put some closed cell foam on the lid where the lip actually hits, which seems to make a seal.
The edge seal probably would make it even better, but I don't get any water in the box compartment, so my efforts are still focused on the OSB floor.
Today I soaked the side and front of the box with a hose, and the OSB floor was dry. Next step is to soak the top of the box, hoping that causes the soggy floor so at least i know where to concentrate.

Reactions: TSQ

TSQ

Mar 28, 2021
Niagara Region, ON
Previously i took out the plastic insert and found all the screws were rusted in the wood, indicating water getting into them as it runs down that metal trim (the plastic insert does not keep the water out of the metal trim), so i put butyl tape around the threads and reinserted the screws with the butyl tape smooshing out at the screw head. My guess is that didn't help.
My plastic insert was screwed into the floor at the very bottom of the insert, pretty sure that channeled a lot of water to soak right into the floor, so undid the screw and let them hang loose so the rain just drops to the ground, but i think the "under insert" water still wraps around the bottom of the box and soaks into the wood floor.
I just replaced my inserts this weekend and didn't screw them back up (#8 fix for me I guess) for the same reason:
IMG_20220531_192935891_HDR.jpg

I tested it by pouring some water on the top of the storage locker / metal trim and it definitely runs down the inside of those plastic inserts.

Water also runs down the plate and over the plastic trim at the bottom, and gets the OSB wet.

Next I'm thinking about installing some aluminium angle (bedded with something goopy) along that front edge from the tongue outward:
IMG_20220531_192914436_HDR.jpg

coyotepixel

Mar 29, 2022
Portland, Oregon
My lid is ABS plastic. When I bought the popup last year, the lid was totally trashed with cracks and splits running many inches along the top of the lid where the flat area meets the little raised indent under which the foam is glued. There were cracks at the curves and along the top. The previous owner had siliconed the cracks. That failed. I spent hours scraping and using solvent to remove the silicone. I bought some sheets of white ABS from Amazon, cut strips and soaked them in a jar full of acetone. The ABS melted into a paste which I brushed onto the cracks. When the acetone evaporated, the ABS hardened and created a solid layer even stronger than the lid. So far, with many opening and closings of the lid, the repair is still solid and strong. Too much acetone and you get a weak liquid... not enough creates a gloppy mess. Wish I would have taken before and after photos.

Dave Fro

Sep 21, 2020
I just replaced my inserts this weekend and didn't screw them back up (#8 fix for me I guess) for the same reason:
View attachment 84583

I tested it by pouring some water on the top of the storage locker / metal trim and it definitely runs down the inside of those plastic inserts.

Water also runs down the plate and over the plastic trim at the bottom, and gets the OSB wet.

Next I'm thinking about installing some aluminium angle (bedded with something goopy) along that front edge from the tongue outward:
View attachment 84584
I actually made a drip edge out of thin aluminum (i think it is used in roofing homes to create the valley protection where different roof angles meet). I folded it and put it right under the trim that is between the trailer frame and the checkerplate. See pic.
dripedge.jpg

Reactions: TSQ

Dave Fro

Sep 21, 2020
Here is the patch i put, you can see some of the cracks show through a bit. Some were hairline, and some were huge!
patch.jpg

recon9

Feb 20, 2021
Here is the patch i put, you can see some of the cracks show through a bit. Some were hairline, and some were huge!
That is exactly where mine is cracked. Also some are hair line and some are 1/8" wide. I am going to try the quad max sealant first. If that doesn't hold up I will get some of that tape. I also have some JB Weld plasticweld epoxy if needed.

I have not noticed any issues with my lid seal. But I have only had the trailer a year, it hasn't rained much and I had it covered outdoors during the winter.

Dave Fro

Sep 21, 2020
So i sprayed a ton of water on the front/sides of the box and no water on the OSB.
Today it is supposed to rain like crazy, so I am trying this. If it stays dry then i know i have to address the top (horizontal section) of the metal trim with plastic insert.
tape.jpg

Dave Fro

Sep 21, 2020
So i sprayed a ton of water on the front/sides of the box and no water on the OSB.
Today it is supposed to rain like crazy, so I am trying this. If it stays dry then i know i have to address the top (horizontal section) of the metal trim with plastic insert.
View attachment 84721
Nope, still soggy.... i'm running out of ideas.....

Dave Fro

Sep 21, 2020
I don't have any water in the box at all, floor in there is dry. It is the subfloor that is soggy.
I'll check the screw holes in the lid to be sure. Are you thinking the ones at the back hinge or the ones that the support arm attaches to?

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj
Yup, water runs down with gravity. It dosen't run up , has to be getting in somewhere. Use the hose again, go outwards and up . Keep checking.

TSQ

Mar 28, 2021
Niagara Region, ON
Nope, still soggy.... i'm running out of ideas.....
I'm more or less in the same situation - after all my sealing the box is dry inside but the OSB gets wet/soggy.

My #1 suspicion is that it is just running down the front and getting the OSB wet from the bottom, but your drip edge is making me think again.

Are you thinking it is somehow getting in on top of the OSB (but under the linoleum) flooring?

It is pouring rain here currently but I will go check it when it stops.

Dave Fro

Sep 21, 2020
My suspiscion is that it is somehow getting in somewhere around the side gutters (metal trim with plastic insert) and running through the side walls of the box down to the OSB. Could be similar type of thing on the front behind the checkerplate, which would be hidden by that piece of wood that sits on the inside of the checkerplate that hides the marker light wiring. From when it stars raining until i feel the water on the osb is likely about half an hour, so it is probably making some sort of convoluted route, rather than just running straight down to the osb. I would say that my drip edge eliminates the water across the entire length of the checkerplate, but does not eliminate to two ends, as it doesn't extend beyond the frame. I may try to put an extension on both sides to come out further than the frame to prevent any water that is dripping down the gutters from seeping into the OSB (since it is basically directly connected right at the bottom). So ya, i think we are probably getting internal wall water travel vs. visible from the outside water travel, making it even more difficult to find, and meaning we probably have some internal damage too along with the visible osb damage. I would like to pull off that board that covers the inside of the checkplate, i'm guessing i may see some water trails in there. For sure i had water getting in at the marker light and leaking down the backside of the checkerplate (which seems to be lined with some soft thin wood) before i caulked the marker lights. I'll bet that water found its way to the subfloor without ever showing in the storage box area.

Dave Fro

Sep 21, 2020
I wonder if this area is seeping in. Did you seal that part too? For sure water build up there, not sure if it gets in however. 2F1177C7-9800-4D61-AB63-408FA6844C72.jpeg

Attachments

• B7D256A7-6849-4A13-9A0F-32DAC0D8F37B.jpeg
    B7D256A7-6849-4A13-9A0F-32DAC0D8F37B.jpeg
    251.1 KB · Views: 2

TSQ

Mar 28, 2021
Niagara Region, ON
I wonder if this area is seeping in. Did you seal that part too? For sure water build up there, not sure if it gets in however. View attachment 84742
I don't really get water running down that far inboard - most of my water runs down near the corners. So I have not tried sealing that part.

I did install some aluminium angle (after cleaning and bleaching the OSB) this week:
IMG_20220610_140535249.jpg IMG_20220610_140748748.jpg IMG_20220610_144812942_HDR.jpg IMG_20220610_144848001_HDR.jpg

There are fairly large holes where the plastic trim was screwed up [:(!] but at least the surrounding OSB still seems OK.

I'm going to seal up the corrners but I'm still figuring out the best way - I want to make sure any water that does get inside does not get trapped.

TSQ

Mar 28, 2021
Niagara Region, ON
Sealed up the corners with some black silicone today.

Made sure to keep the drains at the ends of the lower side trim pieces open:
IMG_20220611_142256478_HDR.jpg

On the side I was having the most water trouble the end of the trim piece was blocked with some old silicone - might be something others want to check.

Supposed to rain tonight so we shall see how it goes...

Dave Fro

Sep 21, 2020
Sealed up the corners with some black silicone today.

Made sure to keep the drains at the ends of the lower side trim pieces open:
View attachment 84918

On the side I was having the most water trouble the end of the trim piece was blocked with some old silicone - might be something others want to check.

Supposed to rain tonight so we shall see how it goes...
Did it rain? Any luck? I'm on the edge of my seat :)

TSQ

Mar 28, 2021
Niagara Region, ON
Well after some decent on and off hard rain over the last 24 hours it seems to be pretty good. I checked on the OSB multiple times (usually after a rain squall passed over) and it was never wet.

Currently it is still slightly damp but I think that is largely due to the soaking it got ~5 days ago. The forecast is calling for dry weather this week so hopefully it will get a chance to completely dry.

I did notice water sitting where the tongue goes under like you did, but it does not seem to get back to the wood:
IMG_20220612_185724017.jpg

Definitely keep the side trim drains clear - water runs down the sides and just pours out of them:
IMG_20220612_190905419_HDR.jpg IMG_20220612_191047350_HDR.jpg
I'm on the fence whether or not to seal the joint where my aluminium angle goes under the front plastic trim piece. I'm kind of leaning towards leaving it as is for now.
IMG_20220612_191222835_HDR.jpg