Front storage flap broken, vinyl windows shrunk

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by KelssG, Apr 22, 2020.

1. KelssG

KelssG New Member

Hello everyone, attached are some pictures of repairs we are needing to do. Was wondering if anyone has any recommendations or solutions for us!
    we have a window that has shrunk and won’t zip completely. How have you fixed that?
    Also, our front bin flap is broken. Looking into having on made but curious if a replacement from the company is better. Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

For the first photo build up and reinforce the backside of the damage and make solid. The outside could be filled with body filler later. Same goes for the lid. I would suggest fiberglass mat and resin.

bheff likes this.
  3. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

You will probably not find a replacement lid. Best to fix whats there or make a new one. Leave the pup in the sun open and try to zip up the window, then leave it that way. I haven't heard of a way to unshrink canvas. Best you can do os hope to stretch ot back. Is it on the door side by chance?

4. FARfetched

FARfetched Well-Known Member

You might be able to loosen the canvas a little. If nothing else, lower the roof about half an inch and see if you can get the window to close. The canvas doesn't need to be guitar string-taut, and I'd argue that would stress it. One of my technical contacts, many years ago, told me about "gorillas with wrenches." BIG redneck dudes who over-torque things. Popups aren't all science; that bit of resistance as the canvas begins to straighten up could mean you need to lube the winch, or maybe you're one or two more clicks from the top. Both sight and touch are needed to tell you the roof is high enough.

As for the lid… what's the make/model/year? With that info, someone here can tell you exactly what your lid is made from and how to properly repair it.

WVhillbilly and Sjm9911 like this.
  5. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I had canvas shrink on me, but it was the old fashioned army tent style canvas. I kind of did the opposite of how it shrunk before. I got the canvas and kept it open for about a week keeping all windows closed. Closed up, and a week later did the same process. I found the more I used the camper the better the canvas was becoming. No clue if this process would work on your type material which I believe is sunbrella. As far as the front trunk, that i believe is ABS and honestly if you have a Coleman camper you may not be able to find another lid. I’ve seen some people fabricate a new lid out of diamond plate. Do a search on our threads the front trunk was a common issue and many have done their own fixes.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  6. DigitalGuru

DigitalGuru Active Member

For the front corner crack, try something like Eternabond or SikaSeal flex tape. It's expensive but well worth it. As for the latch, you're likely going to have a bad time. Since it takes the strain of holding the lid down while in transit, it will get beat up alot. I'd advise taking the latch out, repair the area with the Eternabond or body filler, then move the latch to a new area, reinforce the inside lid area or throw a long ratchet strap over the whole lid to hold it down. Good luck!

7. jman1200

jman1200 http://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd340/jmanotas/

The back corner can be fixed with resin or Marine Tex. As for the lid, my suggestion is to build a new one out of aluminum checkered plate. That is the only way to be instantly happy with it and never have to worry about it again.

myride likes this.
  8. kmbarreiros

kmbarreiros Active Member

What JMAN says!!!
    Or you can go my approach remove the whole thing :).

9. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

The OP's camper is a Fleetwood and doesn't have canvas tenting but rather Sunbrella. I'd bet the tenting may be tight because the lift system needs to be adjusted for correct height by following the instructions in the Fleetwood Lift System Repair Guide.

It would help if the OP would include this info in his SIG but from the pics we can tell it's a Fleetwood with an ABS Strata roof and ABS front & rear panels so any repair will have to be compatible with ABS.