Frustrated and done... what now?

Discussion in 'Camper Restoration Projects' started by JWeible, May 15, 2017.

1. JWeible

JWeible Active Member

We have had an '88 Jayco King 6 DLX for a year. The first time we tried to take it out and use it a cable snapped as we were lowering it after loading our gear. We were just finally able to afford to pay someone to fix it and used it this weekend. We had a great time and no issues. Went to pop it up when we got home to unload and the main cable snapped on it. We no longer trust this lift system.
    What to do now? Sell it and cut our losses? Is there some other type of lift system we can convert to that doesn't use cables? My husband kind of wants to turn it into a hybrid as thats what we would eventually like to move up to at some point, is that sort of conversion even possible?
    We are so frustrated and it was a devastating end to a wonderful Mother's day trip. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

If you want a hybrid anyway I would just cut your losses and save up for a hybrid. The only popup that does not use cables would be the A frame type pop-ups or a true tent on wheels type popup like a quicksilver's. Have you tried to rent a hybrid to see if that is truly what you want?

3. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

I think if you have someone look over the lift system and bring it up to spec it will be fine. Jayco's lift system happens to be my least favorite of the common ones, because they bury the cables inside behind cabinets, etc where they are hard to get at. But that doesn't make them inherently reliable.

It's possible there's something else wrong with your lift system which is stressing out the cables...

Also, don't even think of trying to "convert" your pop-up to an "always up" trailer. There's just too much involved, and the risk of failure far too high (think the thing blowing apart at 65mph on the freeway in traffic)

4. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Well-Known Member

5. JWeible

JWeible Active Member

jmkay1- we have owned a TT and a PUP and borrowed a friend's hybrid. The hybrid is what we want for sure, just don't have the money.
    Tfischer- we did have it checked, they replaced several pulleys and brackets and one cable. This time the main cable broke. Not sure if they missed something or if thi things is just cursed :/ after further searching, the conversion is definitely off the table.
    Rusty2192- this may be exactly what we are looking for. Thank you!!!

6. justincdst

justincdst Member

Have you tried to take it apart yourself? I pulled mine completely to pieces ('93 Palomino) and put it back together recently and it looks intimidating but its actually fairly simple once you wrap your head around how the cables push and pull on the springs. If the rest of the pup is in good shape, I recommend trying to repair it.

DanielFlorida likes this.
  7. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Not all popups are created equal... some are easier to repair, some are NOT.

8. justincdst

justincdst Member

Yeah absolutely, fair enough. I looked at a few lift systems trying to figure out mine before just saying the heck with it and tore it apart to figure it out. The principle are the same but yes they are not all created equally. Maybe I got lucky with the Goshen lift Palomino uses.

9. JWeible

JWeible Active Member

Ours has an L&W lift system. It's broken 3 times in a year. The last time was after having it fixed by a camper repairman. All trust is gone. We are going with the C&R lift kit.

10. IngieBee

IngieBee New Member

I'd like to add that I didn't know myself, that the lift posts need to be lubricated with silicon spray as routine maintenance. My new to me Jayco was so hard to lift in o e Corner. After a good spraying and moving it around, and doing the other posts, we no longer have issues. BTW I also broke a brand new cable that I had just installed because of this. Silicon lubricant spray, says so in the manual, but I never see it mentioned in forums ☺️

DanielFlorida likes this.