Ft Desoto Camping in Florida

Discussion in 'PopUpPortal TV' started by braveteacher, Apr 4, 2010.

1. Sharon

Sharon Dover, FL

Thanks for the info,

I will do my best to keep the coons out. I was worried about them breaking in to the pup for the food.

And we will try where the canoe rental is, We are super excited, getting every thing ready now for a long day tomorrow. Fishing included. LOL!

Sharon

2. Wizfisher

Wizfisher New Member

If you have a spot on the water, you can launch and fish from your spot.

3. fire4effect97

fire4effect97 Russ & Shawna, DD1, DD2, DD3

Well I read the paper that Pinellas County is talking about charging $3.00 a person or $5.00 a car to off set some budgt issues. So look for longer lines to get into the park and add admition to budget.

4. Sharon

Sharon Dover, FL

My neighbor told me about that today. So is that waved if you camp?

That is why we stopped going to the Skyway bridge, they charge per person and a charge for the car as well.

Sharon

5. Wizfisher

Wizfisher New Member

Those new prices have not gone into effect yet. I'm not even sure if it passed.
    Tolls are not waived if you are camping. We left the park a few times and had to pay each time to get back in.
    If it was $5 each time we would have limited the trips though, lol.

6. johnsagraves

johnsagraves New Member

What are the fees? I checked them out a couple times and they appeared to be a bit expensive. We are two senior's that live in Tampa and been reluctant to head that way because of the fees. We stay in a lot of the State Parks and what a great deal for Florida residents. John

7. RD

RD New Member

Ahh, Fort Desoto. Just came back from a trip there a couple of weeks ago. Great trip, but we had some wicked storms come through that we were unaware of and we had a site right on the water. If you live in Florida, you might remember the storms a few weeks ago as it affected a major part of the state. We woke up in the middle of the night to what sounded like a tornado. Awning blew off. It was crazy, I had re-enforced it with bungee cords and stakes. It didn't matter, because the winds broke and bent the rods!

Woke up the next morning and saw the damage. A tent camper next to us woke when a large branch fell in between his tent and truck. Some of the smaller branches on the limb landed on his head. Multiple Class A's had broken awnings as well. Other tent campers evacuated during the night leaving their stuff behind and their tents had blown over. All kind of limbs down.

Pop-up made it out mostly OK besides the awning. We had 1 hole in the canvas and the lift arms got bent a little. We were just happy to make it at the time! [LOL] It was scarier than any of the hurricanes that I have been through here in Florida.

I have to say that I was a little disappointed that no rangers came around to check on campers afterwards in the morning.

Prior to that though, we had a blast. A beautiful park with a dog beach.

Did some fishing there and caught a ton of catfish from the site, although I don't mess with catfish. I saw a lot of people wade fishing and there are 2 piers. Absolutely beautiful beaches. We should all appreciate them before the oil spill affects them. (Hopefully that doesn't happen!! That bothers me so much.)

Anyways, enough rambling! Have a great time!!!

8. RD

RD New Member

BTW, those pesky raccoons also broke into one of my coolers that I forgot about! The little rascal had a nice seafood dinner as it ate my salted clams/shrimp that I was using for bait. It was one of the fattest raccoons that I have ever seen.

9. Wizfisher

Wizfisher New Member

We were there at the same time. We got there on Tuesday and got to enjoy that evenings storms but were lucky enough to miss the ones on Sunday (I think). Our awning was thrown onto the roof and put a nice hole in the a/c shroud. Duct tape held for the ride home, lol. The pup was shaking, but not as bad as I thought it would be. My wife is pregnant and ended up sleeping on the couch bed since it is more in the center of the pup and lower than the bunks. I enjoyed the pups movements since it reminded me of sleeping in a boat in a chop. [SNZ]

What site were you in? We were in 33 and the west winds got us good. A couple guys next to us caught a little shark and about 20 minutes later while I was wading in thigh deep water saw about 3 little sharks swim by me about 15 feet away. I didn't stay wading long. [LOL]

10. Sharon

Sharon Dover, FL

I was not at the park but man, that was one heck of a storm for sure. We woke up to our mobile home shaking. And the looked like we had strobe lights in the bathroom as we have skylights and the flashes of light were just constant. It was wild. And scary,

Im glad you all survived that storm, Its pretty scary.

Looking forward to my trip there, It is kind of expensive, But we had book a hotel on St. Pete beach which was $140 a night, for our 25th anniversary, but with our current situation, and since every time we stay in the hotel we are always at Ft. Desoto or fishing on the Sky way bridge. We figured, we would just check and see if they had a spot at The camp ground, and they did, only one. for that exact same week, So we canceled our hotel stay and that deposit paid for the whole week at the campground and a new canoe. So we are really happy. My brother and his kids are coming out the last 3 days, and will split the cost. so that helps as well. Yes, we will still be under the 6 person minimum.

No more hotels for us. LOL!

Sharon

11. RD

RD New Member

Wiz, my wife did the same thing! I actually joined her on the couch though! haha Yeah, we got caught with that storm on Sunday. I believe we were in site 145; it was in the pet loop. My wife is actually kind of freaked out about going through storms in the PUP now and considering going over to a hybrid due to that trip. [:(]

Sharon, I think that you will be happy that you decided on the campground. It was really nice!

12. Sharon

Sharon Dover, FL

We are pretty sure we will like it more as well.

And hey, as long as Im near water and can wet a line, Im a happy Girl!

Sharon

13. fire4effect97

No the fees havent started yet that is just proposed right now but living in Pinellas County I can tell you it will probably pass. Right now camping fees are $30.00 a night I think. I don't go out there to much any more because its just so crowded [:!]. It is a beautiful area though. Yes if you pay the .35 [2C] toll and leave you have to pay it again to get back on. The beach and the fort are great.

14. RotHappens

RotHappens New Member

We've tent camped at Ft DeSoto many times. Love it. I think we're spoiled now, because that is our measure for what constitutes a good campground. Has to have: privacy (I love it that every site has bushes/trees that really give you a feeling of privacy from your neighbors); clean bathrooms/showers (they're nice, and there are coke machines & coin-operated washer/dryers); great views (my favorite campsites are on the outer beach); photos online of every site so you can see what you're reserving; water/electric hookups; lots of shade; great beaches nearby (our favorite is North Beach).

Have a great time!

15. fire4effect97

Lake Kissimmee State Park has the seperation from site to site to. Nice facilities as well.

16. RicBKewL

RicBKewL New Member

So I just booked for the end of June and I got thinking about the oil spill. Anyone been there recently who can tell me the affect of the oil spill in this particular location? Still pretty excited to go tho, just hope I wont be swimming in oil.

17. chiefjefe

chiefjefe New Member

No oil anywhere near Ft. Desoto and doesn't look like it will affect the area around St. Pete Beach, Clearwater Beaches. It's not even close to this area at all.

18. chiefjefe

chiefjefe New Member

Agree, the best privacy I've seen yet at a Florida SP. Lots of thick tree cover from site to site.

19. jjkach

jjkach New Member

Hope to get to this park this year. Also agree Lake Kissimmee has nice trees between sites.

20. RicBKewL

RicBKewL New Member

Thanks for the info! We were anxious about that, in less than 3 weeks we will be down there! Hope everything goes well with the 20 hr journey from upstate NY :)