Ft Desoto Camping in Florida

Discussion in 'PopUpPortal TV' started by braveteacher, Apr 4, 2010.

1. RotHappens

RotHappens New Member

They say oil is still 250 miles west of Fort Desoto, so hopefully there will be no problem. But really, at Ft Desoto Campground, you are inside of the beaches on the Gulf and will be protected, anyway. So I wouldn't worry too much about oil. Anyway, I hope that the gulf stream current will wisk it away from this area.

Thanks to those who posted about Lake Kissimmee! We're planning a visit as a result! Can't wait.

2. florida_boy

florida_boy Happy trails y'all!

Wifey and I were at De Soto over Memorial w/end. That was the second trip there. We love that place for sure! Of course the c/ground was booked solid over the holiday w/end but wasn't bad as far as bathroom time/shower time, traffic. As far as getting your own little private spot on the beach.... HAHA!!!... still a beach is a beach.... so what if it was a bit crowded ... everyone was still having a great time. We had a site that faced west on the water,so,breeze was pretty constant and bugs didn't bother us(we used Cutter). Last note....heed the warnings above about the raccoons...they are pretty smart about finding,consuming your food. .... Happy trails y'all!! [BBQ]

3. eve104

eve104 Ol'Bessie

Ft Desoto sits at the opening of Tampa bay. If the Oil gets to that side of the Gulf then it WILL affect the beaches, ALL the beaches, including the Tampa Bay side...which will be really sad. Im born and raised here in Tampa Bay area and have fished, swimmed, Beached and Vacationed at all the beached of the Tampa Bay Area from Clearwater to St Pete and all beaches in between. We are hoping to go to ft Desoto, but not sure when we will get there we had reservations for August but had to cancel.

4. chiefjefe

chiefjefe New Member

eve, every report I've seen doesn't put the oil near us here in Tampa Bay/St. Pete Beach, Clearwater Beach. Doesn't mean it won't happen but very unlikely with the loop current that protects us.

5. eve104

eve104 Ol'Bessie

Chiefjefe, I know, I was just replying to the other post.

jefe huh, tu habla espanol??....

6. chiefjefe

chiefjefe New Member

An old nickname courtesy of my brother, unfortunately I was too busy messin' around in H.S. Spanish to learn much... [:(]

7. eve104

eve104 Ol'Bessie

lol,...ok

8. Sharon

Sharon Dover, FL

I just got back today from there, a day early. We spent 5 days there and its beautiful. No oil in site.

But, Man was it hot.

Sharon

9. jjkach

jjkach New Member

Good to hear you had a good trip. Yes, it is hot.

10. RicBKewL

RicBKewL New Member

So glad to hear people recently coming back from here and there's no oil. We're heading next Friday and we're siked! Our first time going here and we'll prob go again.

11. Indy-Sedona

Indy-Sedona 2001 Sedona

Loved the video of Fort Desoto. Brings back memories when I took the kids there for spring break about 20 years ago. At that time you had to be a Pinellas county resident to reserve in advance so our friends in Dunedin did the reservation for us. Fort Desoto park has to be one of the the most lush tropical parks in Florida. We had a real good time and the kids loved the Fort with the cannons. Thanks for sharing!

12. BlitzK

BlitzK New Member

I used to live ~2 mins (on a slow day) from Ft. Desoto... Been there hundreds of times, but have never camped there! hah

13. jeeper88

jeeper88 Let's go Camping and Jeepin

Just got back from Desoto Campground in St Pete and it was awesome. The first 10 min's we were welcomed by the racoon core. We stoped by subway and grabed a foot long and started setting up the pup. My wife heard paper rattling and checked out the sound and found the bugger in our TV chomping on our sub. That was the first ten min. The grounds were great, and did I mention we had a waterfront that was ........ Im speachless.... We had a great time in the kayak, out early every morning and followed the dolphin,s, One morn we found a mom with it,s baby teaching it to hunt. The neighbor's were great, and the bug,s were few, and no rain. The bathroom,s were great and shower,s were really clean. We are trying to book another week soon.

14. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

[LOL] [LOL]

15. jeeper88

jeeper88 Let's go Camping and Jeepin

yep I figured someone would like that!!!!!!!! That was lesson 101 and it will never happen again... [:)O]

16. dvenable

dvenable New Member

I grew up in Bradenton so I'm really getting homesick reading these posts.

17. johnlely14hw

johnlely14hw New Member

Learning from u guys,
    Thanks! [:D :)

18. johnklabrake

johnklabrake POPUPs SINCE 1992

I am fortunate to live 15 minutes from FT DeSoto. This is our favorite campground of all time. Where else can you rent waterfront property on the Gulf of Mexico and Tampa Bay for so cheap? PopUps are the only way!

19. jeepinjimmy

jeepinjimmy New Member

We are camping there in a few weeks, i think the weekend of the 20th. Cant wait.