Ft Wilderness

Discussion in 'Florida' started by 1REDBEARD, Oct 3, 2019.

1. 1REDBEARD

1REDBEARD Active Member

Just curious if anyone has camped at Ft.Wilderness in Fl. If so is it worth it and cost efficient? Like things to do and such.

2. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

My boss took her kids once and just raved about that place. Saying the campground has a lot of things to do and see. From what I heard there is a ferry or something that can take you directly to magic kingdom so it was easy to go back to camp to rest before continuing the day at the park. There was even an electric water parade at ft. Wilderness. Personally I think that is what my boss liked the most judging by her pictures.[:D]

Orchid, Sjm9911 and 1REDBEARD like this.
  3. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

I will be there is 3 weeks, lol. There are a few here that go there often. Additionally, all say its the best campground. Its pricey. But cheaper then other disney accommodations. And , if you want to go book early, like over a year out. It fills up quickly. Yes , 2 pools, hot tubs, laundry, outside movies, chip and dale show for the kids. Holidays are even better as people do up there campers. Oh, and there is also disney!

Orchid and 1REDBEARD like this.
  4. 1REDBEARD

1REDBEARD Active Member

That is one thing I noticed... How fast it fills up.

5. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

I booked next year also, even though i haven't been there once. Good thing is you can cancel and if like 30 days out i dont think they charge you. Lots of people go to the fort and never go to Disney. I will have a full report when i return, unless i decide to stay! Its a far trip from NJ so im staying for like 12 nights?

1REDBEARD likes this.
  6. 1REDBEARD

1REDBEARD Active Member

Sweet, good deal. Its like 45 minutes from me. Keep me posted... We have a pre-teen so gotta find fun places for him.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  7. tzmartin

tzmartin Well-Known Member

Lots of fort fiends here. search fort wilderness on this site and you'll get lots of info.

1REDBEARD, Orchid and Sjm9911 like this.
  8. mpking

mpking Well-Known Member

Dback2k4, Orchid and Sjm9911 like this.
  9. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Nothing cost efficient about Fort Wilderness or Disney. [:P] We always stay in the tent/pop up loops. The only difference is they lack a sewer hook-up. They do include electric, water, cable and wifi.

Worth it? We think so. We usually go a few weeks each year. This year we haven't been, due to my knee replacement surgeries, but do have a week booked for December.

While lots of people just vacation at Fort Wilderness, we always do the parks on weekdays. We have weekday annual passes (only $20 month for Florida residents.) On weekends we hang around the Fort, which is a destination in of itself.

Lots of people take or rent golf carts, which are driven all over FW. "Looping" is popular both to check out campers and campsites, and especially at holidays to check out all the decorating. There are always people that decorate their sites year round, but Halloween and Christmas about half the people do.

There are two pools, but we have only ever used the one at the Meadows. There is a store there, bike barn rental (or you can bring your own,) a little catch and release fishing pond where the fish like hot dogs best, and best of all the every single night campfire, sing-along, and movie with Chip & Dale.

We have never done the horse back riding, but I know it exists. You can also rent quite a few different kinds of boats to go out on from the Fort. You cannot bring or use private boats at FW or Disney.

All the Disney transportation is free and includes boat rides from the Fort. Even if you're not going to Magic Kingdom, you can still ride the boat for fun if you like. Or you can take a bus over to one of the parks or resorts that connect to the new Gondola sky liners. We have not ridden those yet, but are completely free and really cool looking like an actual ride.

Every night there is a water parade that you can view from the beach at the Fort. You can also view the nightly fireworks at Magic Kingdom from the Fort Wilderness beach.

Fort Wilderness is fairly wooded and nice. It's not like a parking lot or field like other resort type places. The tent/pop up loops are nicest in this regard. The comfort stations are second to none. Very clean and modern. They all have laundry facilities that are also nice. Two stores within the campground have all the little necessities you may have forgotten.

mpking and Sjm9911 like this.