Fuel Tanks on Jeep Grand Cherokee

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by bigdad, Jun 8, 2011.

1. bigdad

bigdad Well-Known Member

On the news tonight there is a problem with 1993 to 2003 fuel tanks rupturing when hit in the rear several people have died from the tank letting out the gas and causing a fire from the crash in 2005 they move the tank in front of the rear end the speed at witch there were tested is above 30 mph. there is no room from the bumper and rear end some of the Jeep have the plastic shield but it does not help.

2. robinsonfam1

robinsonfam1 New Member

old news. they are not a "pinto". its been a very rare issue in the grand scheme of things. almost any vehicle out there can explode when hit ever so perfectly.

i guess a good FYI for the current jeep owners though. Maybe they will give me an upgrade one day. although my tank has the solid steel full wrap skid plate. lol

3. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Ours also has a steel shield and a Class III hitch in the way.

4. bigdad

bigdad Well-Known Member

They are like the pinto there is no room between the tank and bumper in 05 they move it in front on the rear end so ther is a big problem. it like the tank is a after thought.

5. suprz

suprz may you never doubt yourself....

we have a 2004 GC and I have a 96 (regular) cherokee, and there really isnt that much difference in the amount of room on either.... but again, like someone else said, if you get hit in the right spot, almost any car has the ability to burst into flames... and we both have class III hitches in the way [:D]