Full in Hope

Discussion in 'Let me tell you about my trip' started by generok, Jul 26, 2020.

1. generok

generok Well-Known Member

We went to Hope, AK to do some salmon fishing. It's easy there and you really can just catch pink after pink until you're sick of it. Fishing was normal.

We stayed at a campground we normally stay at there. I've seen it pretty full several times, but NEVER have I seen it so crowded! Wow! It seemed each space hosted 5-6 adults and 6-7 kids. It was absolutely CRAZY there. We lucked out and got an end spot, so we were able to isolate, but it was just a bait ball of kids all over the CG. I hope everyone was negative there because if one person was a carrier, then most of the families there are going to have to contend with COVID 19.

I told mt wife that it seems the number of kids in a rig is inversely proportional to the size of the rig. I saw one guy with a truck bed work-style camper and he had his wife, and SIX kids in there. Wow, that's a dedicated Dad right there!

In the end, we sat by the fire and at least commended all the folks getting out there and doing it. But I was truly concerned with the families with kids... social distancing is just not in their wheelhouse even a little.

Still, had a great weekend, brought home a bunch of fish, I think it was 36 total between DW, DD and I, and now we're brining them and smoking a bunch tomorrow.

2. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Glad you were able to have an enjoyable trip! I have noticed something similar around here... seems like almost every site seems to have multiple “family units”.... either several couples or extended families... consistently seeing two-three cars per site. Note: sites are supposed to be limited to one family unit and two vehicles as far as I know. Also, several weeks ago I noticed this: group campsites are closed (presumably to limit group sizes) so a boy scout troup got 4-5 sites all lumped together in the family campground... Yeah that’s way better lol

Sjm9911, kcsa75 and firepit like this.
  3. firepit

firepit Well-Known Member

I hit my fav campground last week in June.
    Was not fun at all....Every site was booked and yes everyone showed up as well as tents on about every electrical
    site ( 1 tent allowed along with camper on each site).
    All the tent sites were full as well as all day picnic areas.
    Bathrooms were gross...People yelling...Unattended dogs barking etc etc.
    I cancelled a trip a couple weeks ago due to the heat and above mentioned.
    I am going back late week and have a better spot booked and temps in mid 80's.
    Its my last booked trip so far this year and i am backing off till mid September and going to
    do some dry camping as well to try to avoid crowds.
    I am hoping schools open around here and will cut into the surge with kids being busy
    with activities.
    Generok...At least you got to land some fish and somewhat enjoyed yourself.
    I didn't bother setting throw lines in the river or fishing the lakes last time out.
    The tent sites are all by the river and they mess with your lines.
    It's for sure nuts right now.

neighbormike likes this.
  4. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

Here BSA is now allowing camping with restrictions. Only one night, only siblings can share tents, and tents must be spaced a certain distance. The only way they would be able to camp would be very local as they can't ride share either and to had any time you would need to be there early the first day and leave late the second day. Instruction is also difficult as mask are required and social distancing has to be maintained. We were commenting the other day that if you want to have a longer camp out all you would need to do is have each family get their own site and it's no longer a BSA camping trip.

neighbormike likes this.
  5. Ladiesman

Ladiesman Active Member

The camping for one night only is confusing. Why would they limit to one night if you are only allowed to bunk with siblings

6. neighbormike

Because everyone knows it takes 26.5 hours for the Covid to spread.... duh!! [LOL][LOL]

Ladiesman and BillyMc like this.
  7. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

There is a whole lot of stuff the powers that be come up with that make no sense.

neighbormike and Ladiesman like this.
  8. neighbormike

Amen.