Full Size SUV vs Truck

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by Agent27, Jun 17, 2020.

1. 85_Ranger4x4

85_Ranger4x4 New Member

Most new SUV's have IRS. It does ride and handle better.

But you also get pressed in sealed unit wheel bearings, struts to break, differential seals that like to leak, more cv joints to play with etc.

Compared to a truck (or older SUV) with a solid rear axle that you change the oil in every 100k if you think about it and might get a little spring sag with age.

Trucks seem to hold their value better too.

I dare say most full four door half tons probably have more second row legroom than any SUV. They are kind of ridiculous really...

But if you need a really smooth ride, the third row seating and/or climate controlled cargo space for pets or candy bars or whatever a truck won't work.

2. zak99b5

zak99b5 Active Member

I did hear that the next gen Suburban and Tahoe will have irs. Not sure about the Silverado.

3. nancyanddan

nancyanddan Well-Known Member

Our TV is a 2017 Expedition, and we love it! It’s also our only vehicle so it does double-duty. We’re both retired so it works very well for us.

4. Kelli McDowell

Kelli McDowell New Member

We have the full 4 door cab f-150. There is more leg room in the back seat of it than a suburban or expedition - we measured. I have three kids (13,12,10) and so far so good in the back seat. My husband carpools to softball with big grown men in the back seat and they are perfectly comfortable. Go test drive both on the same day, you'll be surprised. :)

jmkay1 likes this.
  5. BobaruCA

BobaruCA New Member

I pull my Coleman popup with a 2019 Subaru Ascent with trailer package. Perfect mid-size SUV tow vehicle for a pup. All-wheel-drive, lots of pulling power, 5k towing capacity (no sagging), three row seating (lots of storage with seats folded), 25 mpg highway, uses regular gas, comfortable and safe (Subaru's 'Eye-Sight' system).

6. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

You’ll get better gas mileage pulling with a truck as well. I have a bed topper on my crew cab f150. You’ll get way better gas mileage with a vehicle that’s built to tow.

7. 85_Ranger4x4

85_Ranger4x4 New Member

Eh, fullsize SUV's are no slouch. They generally have the same powertrain minus the rear axle as a half ton.

Expedition has the same 3.5 Ecoboost and 10 speed transmission the highest rated F-150 has.

8. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

I hear ya, but I have the 5.0 V8 which the expedition does not. Eco boost on expedition and f150 gets worse gas mileage while towing than a f150 built to tow with a V8.

9. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

If hauling the popup was its only job, my truck would be an SUV.

My crew cab truck has as large a second row as anything, but the 3rd row seats...nope. The middle seat in the front? OK for short trips only. I didn't get a 1-ton pickup for hauling a popup but it's pretty good at it (and the 22+ mpg isn't bad either).

Arlyn Aronson and Sjm9911 like this.
  10. 85_Ranger4x4

85_Ranger4x4 New Member

All them extra horses gotta eat something! lol

They do make more power than the 5.0 in better places and maintain it better at higher altitudes. If you want to top out a F-150 for towing/hauling, the only way to get the "max tow" package is with the 3.5. And better mpg empty too.

Either should play with a popup trailer (which I have never pulled) I would prefer the 5.0 for audio reasons though, it would do what I need done and sound better doing it.

I have a 2v 5.4 and a pushrod 5.0, while I have towed a lot of stuff (mainly farm equipment) I have never towed a camper. I am getting a slide in pop-up at the end of this week... so I don't really have a dog in the fight at all.

I do know my 5.4 can move some serious fuel while loaded heavy though. [:)C]