Full time in a PUP

Discussion in 'Boondocking' started by Gale Bray, May 29, 2019.

1. Gale Bray

Gale Bray New Member

Due to family issues, I am considering moving into my Palomino hardside pup on a piece of acreage I own and farm. Has anyone lived full time in a pup, and if so, what pointers are you willing to share with me? I live in an area of rainy winters with occasional 28 degree nights and hot summers. I have water on the property and solar. Thanks

2. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

The biggest thing I can see is what are you going to do about storage and how are you going to stay warm? My brother lives in his popup spring, summer, and a bit of fall and he rents a room from his friend for the late fall and winter as it just gets too cold during our winters. His electric heater just can’t keep up with the cold we get. I’m not as familiar with your winters, but if you see freezing temperatures longer then 12+ hours you will not be able to use your on board water tanks unless the plumbing and jug are all strictly inside the camper. Then how are you planning on staying warm? If you have a furnace on board you will be going through a whole lot of propane.

3. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

There is a YouTuber that did this for almost two years. He has a lot of valuable videos on his channel that may give you answers. He is no longer in his pup because someone torched it, but his early videos are straight to the point on what you have to do to live in a popup. You can find him HERE.

Garrity likes this.
  4. Gale Bray

Gale Bray New Member

Thank you jmkay1 for your response. Because we farm this piece of property, we have outbuildings for storage. My son hopes to start construction on a small house this year, so he will be living onsite in his 30 ft travel trailer. I am planning to insulate around the bottom of the unit to cut down drafts, and I am hoping the hard sides of this pup will provide a bit more insulation, but I do not know if this is true. I am also planning to cover the trailer with a suspended tarp to protect from rain. I do not know if my heater or a Little Buddy heater will be sufficient. These are questions I am hoping others have answers to.

Squeeker likes this.
  5. Gale Bray

Gale Bray New Member

Thank you BikeNFish, I will look those videos up.

6. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Well-Known Member

Sound like AC might be more of an issue than frozen pipes. Please keep us posted of your plans and nice to have you here with us Gale.

7. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

This really depends on what your usual winters are, will you have power other than your battery? Do you have an on board furnace? I camp in the fall here in a traditional popup. I use reflectix in the windows, popup gizmos for over the bunk end or some have completely covered the bunkend with a tarp. The idea here is insulting to help keep the heat in and the cold out. A popup usually has a lot of drafts so if it gets windy it can work it’s way in. I don’t know anything about your camper so don’t know how well it can hold heat. My on board furnace can keep things nice and toasty but it eats through battery quick unless you keep the furnace set low. It also goes though propane quick too. Where I will need a second tank in about 4 days, if that, if I used my furnace at a reasonable temperature. I usually supplement the furnace with an electric heater. So the furnace only kicks on if the electric heater can’t. Personally I wouldn’t trust a mr buddy heater to heat if you are asleep. That’s just me though.

8. CamperChrissy

CamperChrissy Well-Known Member

Maybe for the winter you could plan to block off the bunk-ends with curtains or hanging blankets and use the dinette as your bed? Since you have a hard-side, the bunk-ends are probably the worst culprit of letting in the cold.

Also, I know in my PUP if it's cold out the floor gets very cold. Could you put a layer of the antifatigue foam tiles on the floor? That would really help with insulation. I tried it in mine and it was much warmer, but it wouldn't work in the long run because the refrigerator door would not clear them and we have a slide-out and I didn't want to have to pick them up every time we closed up the camper.

Random thought - if possible, it would be nice if you could park it on a gravel area instead of grass. If you get a lot of rain, it would really help keep your area less muddy.

Good luck to you!

9. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

Could you sell your popup and get a cheap travel trailer. Even if you have to have it moved on site by a flatbed.

starcraft likes this.
  10. Gale Bray

Gale Bray New Member

Thanks for all the replies. I think I will be in pretty good shape with the measures I have planned like blocking off the undercarriage with bales or insulation, and a large tarp suspended over the trailer for shade and rain. I have access to plenty of propane, a more than adequate solar system, and water. I even have a pad to park it on. If it gets too uncomfortable, I will build me an insulated shop or shed. Thanks again for the suggestions.

11. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

You made a good point. I would stay in the pup while building or buying a shed. A 12x 24 shed can be built in stages and pretty cheap. Put it on skids and insulate the heck out of it.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  12. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Stay in the pup, build a shed, and heat with wood. Best bet. After the winter use whatever you wish. Good luck. I wouldn't, couldn't, stay in a pup in the winter , even here in nj. Dont know how north you are in cal. But it can get cold, the older i get i dont like cold.

13. durhamcamper

durhamcamper Active Member

The only question I have about trying this is "what are you doing about shower/bathroom facilities?"

14. Gale Bray

Gale Bray New Member

We have a serviced "blue room", and I have a shower tent and solar water bag that I used while camping. Will probably have to do sponge baths in the winter, although it really doesn't get all that cold here. I am actually looking forward to the move, somewhat.(lol)

15. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Well-Known Member

Solar shower bags don't work to heat water in our climate but they might where ever you'll be staying. Do keep us informed....

16. hq308

hq308 Active Member

Is there room to set up the pup in one of the outbuldings?

17. lostboy

lostboy Active Member

This was my thought/question to.

18. PaThacker

PaThacker Well-Known Member

I am currently in between homes and screw it and live in the pup this “nice” time of year at a campground. I could do it offgrid as well but chose to be closer to work than hours away. Hours away would be managing water big time! Doable yes but pita too. Full feature pup less a bathroom or AC is my type and preferred style of pup for this endeavor costing me $550 per month site rent Notice setup and how to manage small house living ala pup life and work. 4D25E3B2-A374-4504-B52E-B7C6BC5C6E82.jpeg 481EDDCC-E733-4082-977B-36C03364FD69.jpeg FCB2FE61-254C-4213-8477-2946DC49CFF0.jpeg 5BCE5B73-52D5-4F74-8BB0-D40B033C2295.jpeg

hq308 likes this.
  19. PaThacker

4E97D109-4F4B-4898-8317-83E801073456.jpeg I have 2 kids and setup bathroom outhouse style and within walking distance to campground showers. Recreation for them is bikes and my canoe. I only have limited custody of kids so it’s weekends with bags. Kids also have weekend sports and activity that I’m responsible for transportation. Typical court order stuff but to them it’s camping and no way could do it off grid.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
  20. PaThacker

My pup has a couch to relax on and I switched from white collar biopharma to blue collar truck driver post apocalyptic divorce w child support as the prize. Last night temps dipped to 40 and I didn’t need heat. I could also shower outside of pup but rather walk to comfort station. I do laundry at campground and wash dishes in slop sink.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
    Garrity and Arlyn Aronson like this.