Full time in a PUP

Discussion in 'Boondocking' started by Gale Bray, May 29, 2019.

1. PaThacker

PaThacker Well-Known Member

They only bad part I’ve seen is no security alah pup. I have tons of gear to store/rotate

2. silverfz

silverfz Active Member

The one i have seen had a carport like thing built above the entire thing, no worry of water getting in. He also used gravel around the site to create a very dry area. ofcourse this was in a campground with showers and bathroom right behind the site.

3. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

My concern would be long term how well the bunk end canvas, assuming it has canvas ends and hard sides.

Mind you, RVs for the most part are NOT built for full timing, and pop ups least of all, but it IS doable. A youtuber that goes by Little House on the Road did it until someone burned his popup down... He's using a DIY truck camper full time now.

It CAN be done, my Dad did for about 6 months in a Palomino hard side in Oregon in the 80s for work. The Biggest issue there was dumping the tanks...

Like others have mentioned, reduce / stop the airflow under the trailer to keep from freezing your water supply. I would be concerned having contact, or at least close proximity between hay bales and the trailer. Mold, insects etc... leap to mind. I just don't think it's a good idea. Tarps, Rigid foam insulation panels etc... would be a much better idea.

The other concern would be sanitation. Like I said, my Dad did a 6 month stay in a Palomino hard side in the 1980s when he moved to Oregon before he bought a home. However he had the thing at a KOA campground with full facilities.

He was adept at sewing and back then he had friends that would allow him to use their sewing machines. He sewed up a custom skirting set, and a set of bunk end insulating panels. I wish I could recall the material he used for that... He stayed through the winter, which while it was winter, further north from you, there was rarely any days under freezing, maybe less than a week that was under freezing, kind of like here in Texas, but lacking the hot summer... I digress though...

He used an electric space heater. Details are sketchy and I wouldn't go that route in your situation. For your situation, I would go with a propane radiant heater... And be FAR more interested in powering AC...

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
  4. Gale Bray

Gale Bray New Member

PaThacker, I am fortunate because I will not have camping fees, and I have water and solar on my property. While we have outbuildings, none can accommodate the pup. Today, we were given a 30 ft travel trailer, but it leaked for too many years and is in pretty bad shape. My son accepted it for the heavy duty axles, and that is probably the best part of the unit. Besides, I think it will be easier to heat the pup come winter. It is nice to hear you are making it work even with kids off and on.

5. gec66

gec66 Active Member

Your idea of using hay bales is a good one. Very good insulation. For winter I would stack bales as high as the roof all the way around except for the door leaving just enough space to keep the bales from contacting the camper so you don't create a mold problem.

1380ken likes this.
  6. BBQdave

BBQdave Active Member

Grew up on a family farm in Ohio. This reminds me of some of the farmers that retired and built a pole barn for their RV.

They would sell the farm, have an acre or two, build a pole barn for their new home, their RV.

Situation is a little different, and given your climate, maybe a pole structure with roof. And awning off of the sides for added space or drop down to shield wind and cold days.

A pole barn or partial pole barn might be a good way to inexpensively combine your home (RV) and permanent shelter :)

Garrity likes this.
  7. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

I think I would make some kind of tarp tent that covered the entire pup. You don't want your canvas and vinyl to rot from the elements.

It seems to me that bales of hay would attract rodents and insects. I wouldn't have those near my camper.

8. BBQdave

BBQdave Active Member

I think if you were full timing with a PUP, you would have to budget for "canvas tent" replacement after so many years of use. Or maybe more frequent maintenance for the "canvas tent" to last.

My idea with the partial pole barn, provides some protection for the PUP. And you could build planter boxes between the poles for some wind barrier. Again, this is based on a mild climate that does not go below freezing.

Garrity and Orchid like this.
  9. Redbird234

Redbird234 Member

When Finnish pioneers came to the new world they would build a sauna first. A proper sauna has two rooms, one with a stove, bench, tanks for water and a drain. The second room is called the change room but they would use it for sleeping. So they had a warm space with a place to bath. Maybe that's what you should build. And when life improves then you will have the luxury of a sauna.

10. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Well-Known Member

We just learned that our new camper (ak 12ft modified enclosed utility trailer) will keep us toasty with us two and two mutts inside it when it hits 40 here with just the pilot light going in the heater. Go figure!

11. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Well-Known Member

Would you trade those two cuties for our two mutts??? Must say that the 2yo pup isn't quite trained yet. [:O)]

Last edited: Jun 23, 2019
  12. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Those two beautiful girls are your prize! The child support is just a side effect of the way society operates now. In a perfect world, so long as both parents are competent, children would be with each parent 50% of the time and just support the kids when they were with that parent. It's difficult to do, with school, but can be done if both parents cooperate.

One of my daughters is divorced. Her two oldest are from her first marriage. She was getting $1,500+ or something there about in child support. She went back to court to try to have it lowered so her ex could buy a home, and the judge gave her a very hard time! She wanted her ex to have a nice home and money so the kids could spend more time with him and he could afford to do things with them. The judge actually told my daughter that she had no right to decline that money, as it didn't belong to her, it belonged to the kids.

Long story short, after appealing and getting another judge involved, got it down to $300 month support and he has the kids half the time. Of course the loser withdrew his offer on the nice home, the minute the child support was modified, and doesn't spend a dime on the kids. My daughter is now a SAHM (she used to make more than him) and I want her to take him back to court and put the screws to him! She's giving him another year to get his act together. He didn't even show up to pick the kids up last time he was supposed to because he was too busy getting drunk with his newest girlfriend.

My daughter says when the kids are old enough to make the decision to spend less or more time at one place or the other, then she will make a decision about getting child support back. She is way more reasonable and understanding than me. Right now, her current husband works his butt off to support all of them.

So, you can thank men like him for ruining it for everyone! No wonder the court didn't want to lower the support... They did tell her she could come back anytime and get it reinstated at she has full physical custody.

13. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

As someone who has wanted kids with his wife and has been unable to do so due to health problems, I would trade the house and everything it in for a pop up to live in full time and a couple of good kids, and of course my wife...

I'm not going to say anything about divorce or child support because, my opinions on both are quite strong and would likely get me banned.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
  14. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

Re reading your original post, I don't think I addressed your issues / concerns well off the bat, so let me address them now if I can....

In 1986 my Dad moved to Oregon to be closer to my brother and I (my parents split in 1980 and mom took us to Oregon). He liquidated his house, and most everything in it, bought a just barely pre Hardbody Nissan 4x4 King Cab, and a Palomino hard side pop up camper. His had a port o potty, but no indoor shower. He stayed at a KOA between Corvallis and Albany and started looking for a house, and got a job in town.

The climate should be similar to Northern California, so not a hot climate, but not bitter cold either...

He made trailer skirts that attached to the camper, I honestly do not remember the attachment method, out of heavy duty marine vinyl, the stuff meant to be left uncovered outdoors for years without going bad. On the back side it looked like he cut up and layered about 3 layers of moving blankets. Air movement was stopped, and most of the heat that radiated from the camper through the floor stayed around the pipes and tanks, nothing ever froze up.

He made bunk end covers from tarps. If I were doing it now, and could afford the material, I would also line the insides of the bunk ends with reflectix.

Heating was done, since he had shore power, with a little electric space heater wiith a thermostat. It would cycle on / off and wasn't running all the time... He used the little camper kitchen every day no issues.

If I were in your situation, I would do what my dad did, except, and I don't recall if you said you had sufficient electrical, so I would likely go with a catalytic heater. Even the smallest Portable Buddy Heater puts out a TON of heat. Most people complain that they get too hot, turn them off, get to cold turn them on etc... You can regulate temp by air flow through the camper. Open the roof vent, crack a window open a hair etc...

Set up an EZUp by the front door so you are covered leaving / entering the camper, and put a good, heavy duty privy tent at the corner. Peg them both out well, and use tarps between the legs of the EZUp to reduce winds / breezes through for the winter. Use a Zodi for heating your shower water. Oh and make CERTAIN your land slopes away from the camper and privy tent, your gray water will end up running out of the mesh at the bottom of the privy tent.

I have covered elsewhere in a thread I called Stink Shower And Shave, about how to set up a shower rig inside a pop up should you not have one. There are a TON of good ideas there...

Like I said before, what you want to do CAN be done, and some folks have done it. A pop up isn't the first thing most people think of when they think gee I want to full time in an RV, or I need inexpesnive housing, but it CAN be pressed into service with some creativity and a positive outlook

hq308 likes this.
  15. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

@Gale Bray how is the full timing in a pop up going so far?

16. Gale Bray

Gale Bray New Member

Just fine. Have my clothes and other essentials stored on the other slide out bed, and my sewing machine for quilting on one side of the dinette which leaves me plenty of room for eating or homework. A small air conditioner keeps it cool on the hottest days, but most days up to about 90, I am comfortable in the shade of our huge old oak trees. This winter I will suspend a 16x20 tarp over the whole trailer to help keep the rain off. I have a heater in the trailer and a little buddy for back up. I think I will be just fine. I eat out of the garden and my chicken's squeeze out eggs for me. Simple life is heaven.

BBQdave, CamperChrissy and hq308 like this.