Fully open height

Discussion in 'Lift Systems' started by Welderman85, Sep 14, 2021.

1. Welderman85

Welderman85 Member

I have a 95 viking 235sd how can i find the correct fully open height? My guide cable is gone.

2. Grandpa Don

Grandpa Don Well-Known Member

What type of lift system does it have. I think that if it is a Whiffletree system there won't be any Height cable. But if it is the Goshen system then you might have to do some guessing. Maybe by watching to see when the canvas is fully stretched out on the side. Or maybe when the door fits properly. The Goshen system will also have some safety supports that you put in place after the top is fully up. Use those as a guide. Maybe someone else on the Forum has a camper like yours and can provide a better answer. If it does need a Height Cable, they are available online. This site might be able to help.

https://www.hannarv.com/C/6460/LiftSystemParts

3. Welderman85

Welderman85 Member

Its a l and w system

4. rabird

rabird Howdy!

I suggest raising the roof and getting the door set correctly. Might need to raise or lower a tad to get good fit. Once the door fits correctly that is the correct height!

This doc, page 5, suggest various heights, IIRC my 96 was the 47". 4 2x4s cut to 48" fit under the roof lip down to the top of the short walls.
    https://www.popupportal.com/resources/lw-lift-system-replacement.12/

ADJUSTING THE ROOF HEIGHT 1. Raise the roof. NOTE: USE ROOF SUPPORT ON CORNER BEING ADJUSTED ‘G’. Measure from the bottom of the ‘H’ on the ‘H’–rail to the edge of the sidewall cap. The measurement should be 47 ¼”, no more than 47 ¾” for earlier 4 stage units. If you don’t have enough room for the upper door to fit properly, raise the rear arms to 47 ¾”. NOTE: For later 4 stage units the measurement is 46 ¼” with a maximum of 46 ¾”. Also, the 3 stage units with the higher side wall measurement was 42 ¼” to 42 ¾”. 2. If the measurements are not right, adjust the length of the bolts by moving the nuts one way or the other. Lengthen they eye bolt to lower, shorten eye bolts to raise. 3. To find out which eye bolt goes to which arm, pull an individual 3/32 cable and watch which corner of the roof goes up. 4. After the roof height is adjusted properly, set the red vinyl cable so it is tight. Adjust the cable at the roof sideboard and move up. This cable will tell you when the roof is up to the correct height. 5. MAKE SURE THE NUTS ON THE EYE BOLTS ARE TIGHT.

5. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Once you do figure out the right hight you can use a sharpie and make a mark on your lift post near the crank. Make two marks one that prepares you to slow down as your reaching the max hight. My guide cable gave up the ghost on my old Jayco very early on I personally judged by the canvas around the door. It's not too loose and not to tight and the door slid in without a problem.

Grandpa Don likes this.