Fundy National Pak

Discussion in 'New Brunswick' started by pej, Jul 19, 2013.

1. pej

pej Member

Fundy National Park is a must visit destination. It is located on the Bay of Fundy, known for having the highest tides in the world. The park has contains three tent and trailer campgrounds. Our favuorite campground is Point Wolfe, but big rigs need not try because you have to drive through a covered bridge with a angled access (see web site photo) to get to the sites. Also, fire up the propane on the fridge because these sites are un-serviced, but it is well worth it for the stay. Full services at Chignecto North campground.

Fundy has more than 50Km of hiking trails and wilderness camp sites for those up to the backpacking challenge and you can complete a loop, or camp on the beach sites if they are available (sites 7 & 8 at Goose River). If a 1Km to 10Km day hike is more your style, there is easy access to trails that lead you to the coast or water falls and fast flowing cold water streams. One amazing one (water falls) is wheelchair accessible. I almost forgot the golf course, summer theatre (as I recall), wildlife.

You can't stay at Fundy NP without a visit to the fishing village of Alma. The fishing boats are beached high and dry twice a day when the tide is out - amazing to see. Cooked and live lobster, scallops, etc at fish markets or at the take out restaurant. Don't miss the bakery known for its sticky buns, but there is so much more.

Cape Enrage and Hopewell Cape Rocks are just up the road 20 or 40 minutes. Bird habitats, and on and on.

http://www.pc.gc.ca/eng/pn-np/nb/fundy/index.aspx
    http://www.pc.gc.ca/eng/pn-np/nb/fundy/visit/marees-tides.aspx#a01
    http://www.waterlevels.gc.ca/eng/station?sid=140
    http://www.speciesatrisk.ca/fundyshorebirds/shorebirds/migration.html

Okay I'll stop as long as you promise to visit and stay a few days. [:D]

Peter

2. Starcraft Away

Starcraft Away New Member

Been there done that ......first visit was with my scout troop when I was like 10.

Not sure how many times since then, I'm 37 now so a few...lol.

Love those sticky buns

3. jltait

jltait New Member

Just did a quick overnight at Chignecto campground. Really great setup - beautiful facilities. My only complaint was that the serviced sites are intended for RVs and are hard pack gravel. It was really challenging to get our tent pegged (we're now in the market for a popup).

4. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

We were planning to go there this year, but the DW could not get 2 week off during the summer. figured that spring or fall would be to cold.

5. pej

pej Member

Late September in New Brunswick is beautiful with leaves changing colour , but check web sites for end of season shutdown. Things are closing earlier than they used to. Our economy [:(!]

6. Glamper

Glamper New Member

Fundy is awesome! we are from southern ontario...took a week vaca and drove to Edmunston first (stayed overnight) then on to Fundy for the rest of the trip. it was amazing! Lots to see and do within an hour's drive too. Town of Alma is practically walking distance and you can buy fresh cooked lobster - ready to go with butter and all - to take back to your campsite. we cracked open lobster claws by the campfire, how great is THAT!?!?! yummmm..... must do!

Also, if you want a good day trip (even on a rainy day!) - go to Saint John. There is a jet boat ride at the 'reversing falls'. what an adventure! bring a change of clothes though..you'll be SOAKED! lol [:D]

7. Split

Split New Member

Fundy is a very nice campground. The sites are well spaced and fairly private. The washrooms also have 2 stainless sinks under a roof on the outside of the building for washing dishes etc.
    There are no swimming beaches that I am aware of (the water is cold), but they do have a heated salt water pool. The pool was closed both times I was there this year so I don't know how warm it actually is.
    You are not allowed to bring wood into the park so you must purchase wood there.

8. Keith Hawkins

Keith Hawkins Active Member

I have been a tent camper at Chignecto North for the last 25 years. I am so looking forward to my first year as a [PU]camper. I believe this will be our first trip with the NTU [PU].

9. smhartman

smhartman Member

Made 2017 reservations today for Chignecto North Campground!

10. sea-piner

sea-piner Member

25 foot changes in the tides!!!!!!! Holy cow that would be awesome to see! Too bad I live in California, but I will put this on the bucket list! THANKS!

11. pej

pej Member

I've been to California a few times and even camped so you can make it. That said, I have not driven there with the pop-up. Maybe once retired.

12. Redbird934

Redbird934 Member

I just found this site, what a neat resource, we have our 2017 reservation too. August for us.

13. kevin g

kevin g New Member

Yeah, and by Jan 22 the whole park is full. This is what i get for being spontaneous and last-minute.

14. Winchested

Winchested Member

We booked back in Jan or Feb for 3 day stay in august on our two week East coast trip. Cant wait sounds awesome and 2 of my ladies will absolutely love the fresh lobster!

15. Winchested

Winchested Member

We stayed in Chignecgo North directly adjacent from the large play park. My kids enjoyed it thoroughly. Beautiful camp and nice large private sites. However it rained both days we stayed and was cold as hell mid August. The weather can be dark and foggy in one section of the park and bright and sunny 1 or 2 km down the road at higher or lower elevation.

The beach before pointe wolf is gorgeous and this is the spot to see the tide changes for sure.

Honestly for our family this was our least fav spot likely do to the rain. Not much to do here other than hike for hours. Which for my youngest daughter is out of the question after a 1 hour hike in to the 3 vault waterfall and a whine fest all the way back.

I'm sure it's good for biking too if it didn't rain So much.

There were no activities planned for kids due to the Music festival that weekend.

But Alma Is a tiny little town and the sticky buns at the bakery are marvelous.

We tried to head to the fossil beach at Cape enrage... Paid $22 to get in and no rain receipt. Two minutes after we paid it poured for hours. We figured we would get our monies worth and stop at the Cape house for lunch... Cost us the $22 plus another $70 for two small kids and two adult meals. The meals were great but not worth the price.

The Hopewell rocks are 45 min away but make sure you time your tides right as you have to pay an entrance fee to see those too.