funny symbols

Discussion in 'Hey PUP Staff, Let me tell you what I think!' started by rabird, Jan 4, 2014.

1. rabird

rabird Howdy!

They funny symbols work in preview (including modify and quote) but not in a post!

£ and many others!

2. skiball

skiball New Member

[:D] [:O] [PU] Are you talking about these symbols? Hmmm... It sounds like you need to fix something on your computer, I guess [MOD]...

3. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

I see this question mark in a black diamond in some posts. I wonder what they were trying to post.

4. BelchFire

BelchFire I speak fluent vise-grip

Looks like it works to me; I see the symbol for Francs in your post.

I use the ASCII keypad to enter symbols quite often. I especially hate when someone post "It was 18* at my house this morning" Newsflash. It should be 18º.

Google images for "ASCII key codes" and have fun.....

5. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

18* or 18? doesn't make sense to me and I don't even know what an ASCII keyboard is. I just type out degrees, but I guess I should add fahrenheit.

6. kpic

kpic New Member

In your post the degree symbol was a filled diamond with a question mark but when I quoted your post it is the degree symbol.

If some people see the ascii codes and some do not, it is most likely based on the browser they are using. As all the hackers hate anything Microsoft, I use Firefox.

For example alt 241 is the ± plus/minus symbol, alt 238 is ∞ is the infinity symbol which is what I am seeing as I type. Yet when I post, they become ° but I typed alt 248 or the degree symbol.
    (Edit: it did recognize the infinity symbol, gee it just got weirder)
    Anyone who wants to try:
    1. Go here: http://www.asciitable.com/
    2. hold the alt key and type the number listed on the numeric keypad.
    3. if it doesn't work, hit the "Num Lock" key and try again.

7. friartuck

friartuck Well-Known Member

I often see the 'funny character' when I use Word to type a reply then copy paste to the forum reply box. Apostrophes and other keyboard special characters don't translate well to the reply box.

8. BelchFire

kpic is correct; it's all in your browser, not the forum. I'm using Firefox, but I endeavor to keep it updated as well. Raycfe, your browser isn't showing it. I typed out 18 (degree symbol) and it showed correctly in my preview and after posting. You are right, however, I neglected to add F as I should have.

kpic, we have a problem. You and I are both using Firefox, but I'm seeing the symbols and you aren't. What is your character encoding set to? Mine is set to Western (8859-1). Perhaps there's a font download that would do it for everyone (Firefox and IE).

9. BelchFire

Test for others. Post up which, if any, of the following show correctly for you. I'm typing 18(degree symbol)F:

1) 18ºF
    (used ASCII code 167)

2) 18°F
    (used ASCII code 0176)

3) 18°F
    (used ASCII code 248)

For the record, all are appearing correctly for me and I'm using Firefox 18.0.

10. BelchFire

OK, now we're onto it. In the post above, I realized that 18.0 is NOT the current version as I had updated the desktop recently, but not the laptop. So, I immediately updated the laptop and the characters are NOT displaying correctly with Firefox 26.0.

So I go about trying to set the character encoding to Western (8859-1) and discover that character encoding is grayed out now! Initially, it looks like a Firefox issues, so I Google "Firefox character encoding grayed out" and discover this article on Mozilla support.

More work to do, but it looks like either settings in the browser or perhaps the character set on the web server (specifically based on the comment "Firefox uses by default the encoding as send by the web server, so check out with which encoding the web server the file sends if there are problems.") Learning as I go.......

11. rabird

rabird Howdy!

� Chrome

Test Alt 120 x
    Test Alt 127 ⌂
    Test Alt 128 Ç
    Test Alt 167 º

encoded correctly as I type, will they show up in a post? Nope above 128!, 7 bit encoding in a post 8 or greater elsewhere.

12. kpic

kpic New Member

Western (8859-1) also and Firefox version 26.

It is not making sense. Unless the browser display mode is different than the "posting" text mode?

13. ChocoChock01

ChocoChock01 On the road aagaain See Rallies below;

There r ascii code glasses for issue

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

14. kpic

kpic New Member

belchfire

I found this:

"Windows 7
    With Windows 7, Microsoft adjusted is TextUnicode so that the above does not happen. In the absense of a BOM, it is now more likely to guess ANSI (CP 1252) than Unicode (UTF-16LE). With Windows-7 I expect you are therefore more likely to have the reverse problem: A file containing Unicode characters with code points greater than 255, but with no BOM, is now more likely to be guessed as being ANSI - and therefore displayed incorrectly.

Preventing encoding problems
    Currently, the best approach seems to be to use UTF-8 everywhere. Ideally you would re-encode all old text files into UTF-8 and only ever save text files as UTF-8. There are tools such as recode and iconv that can help with this."

I usually stay a release behind with windows. [;)]

15. rabird

rabird Howdy!

What if I force a font in the text editor that doesn't inherit any fornt? nope
    � replacement character used to replace an unknown or unrepresentable character

Gee Alt 236 works for me!! ∞

16. dmonette

dmonette Member

We can't do the smiley faces like back in the dos days :(
    (Alt+1 and alt+2)

17. efehser

efehser New Member

I have the latest version of Firefox running on religiously updated Win7 and I'm not seeing most of the symbols.

18. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

I have found that if I draft a post in Word and then paste it into the Reply box here on the Portal those black diamond/? symbols will replace some of my special characters. A common one is the apostrophe. I've had to make the post, then hit Modify and replace the back diamond/? thing with the intended character. After that it looks fine. I figured that this was due to a difference in symbol coding between the Word and Portal software (I'm no computer geek). But, since I use Firefox and see that others who use it have the same problem I guess that may be the cause. I'll check to see if I have the latest version of Firefox.

19. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

I have version 26.0 of Firefox and it says it is up to date.

Here is a test that I typed with word.

OK, this is a test to see what’s up with the special symbols. It’s 45* here. “Quote”. Question? Semicolon; and some others. Colon: less than< greater than> slash/

I see that it's the quotation marks and apostrophe. I didn't try any of the characters that you use special combinations of keys to get, like infinity, degree, etc.

20. BelchFire

It's definitely tied to the website somehow, because other pages on the internet show Character Encoding options. Since I updated Firefox, this page (specifically, not the home forum page, nor the reply page), does not allow me to change the Character Encoding; it's grayed out and I can't seem to find a way to turn it on. It's going to take someone smarter than me who knows more about forum coding than most of us.