Furnace - can’t turn on?

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by TheBlurb, Mar 28, 2019.

1. TheBlurb

TheBlurb Member

How can I get my furnace to turn on? I recently bought a used tent trailer, whose previous sole owner said the furnace worked, but they didn’t use it.

I found and connected red and white wires to the thermostat (they weren’t connected). Propane and electricity are connected. A switch on the furnace is on. But when I move the thermostat lever all the way on, nothing happens.

Trailer is a 2003 Jayco QWest. Furnace is factory installed. Thermostat is a Suburban 1c20-130 — original I think (strangely mounted on the side of the movable countertop).

Maybe the thermostat needs replacing? Any help is much appreciated!

Attached Files:

2. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

need to light the pilot light?

3. Matt Benoit

Matt Benoit Well-Known Member

Bypass the thermostat... Disconnect the wires you reconnected and twist them together. This will rule out a thermostat issue.

TheBlurb and Buckmaster81 like this.
  4. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

If the furnace has not been used in a long while , I would also look in to see if any bugs, made a nest in it.

5. Pozi

Pozi Member

It could be any number of things. But as mentioned already bugs and t-stat is where I would start.

Does the fan kick on at all? Are you getting 12v to the furnace? If the t-stat wires were disconnected maybe the furnace was disconnected too???

6. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

What they said! Also check for an on off ssitch on the bottem of the t stat.

7. TheBlurb

TheBlurb Member

Thanks everyone! Manuals for trailer/furnace say there is no need to light a pilot. Trailer is very clean; no evidence of bug problem. No fan kicks on. No switch on thermostat. I will test Matt's idea and double check 12v is getting to furnace.

8. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

The bugs could have gotten in through the vent from outside and crawled in the piping. unless you have screen blockers on the outside vent. Check there then go on the inside and take the furnace vent cover off and look to see if there are any signs of bugs in there. Also while the vent cover is off does there appear to be a switch you need to turn on or anything appear disconnected?

9. crackerJack

crackerJack Well-Known Member

Install new digital heat only thermostat.
    That would upgrade and eliminate that possibility.

10. Buckmaster81

Buckmaster81 Active Member

Did you check for a blown fuse or tripped breaker?

11. daveo1289

daveo1289 Active Member

You state that the fan does not kick in. Start with the electrical system. Make sure the 12DCV is at the furnace and t-stat. If at the furnace and not the t-stat, the t-stat wiring will have to be checked for continuity. If not at the furnace, then you'll have to go back to the power panel. You may have to turn the switch on the furnace to off and the on to reset it. That will tell you if the switch is OK by the sound and feel of it. You can also test it with your meter. Big thing is not to overload yourself trouble shooting the issue. Start by getting the fan to run. Then proceed from there.

TheBlurb likes this.
  12. TheBlurb

TheBlurb Member

An update: The furnace works perfectly - it's the thermostat that doesn't. Bypassed it, as per Matt's suggestion, and voila, it fired right up. I've since ordered a new thermostat - should have it ready for the hot summer season. :) Thanks for all the suggestions.

13. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Nice!!! [:D]