Furnace Comes On When Thermostat is In OFF position

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by aardvark, Jul 7, 2018.

1. aardvark

aardvark Member

I have a 2010 Palomino Popup P280, that has a 17,000 BTU Suburban Furnace.

I went into it this morning when it was cool, and the blower was on (the propane tank was turned off). The thermostat was in the off position. It seemed like it was reacting to the cold and turning on anyway. Is this a common occurrence? Does it mean I have a bad thermostat, or improper wiring (if so, is there a simple way to check)?

Or should I simply figure out if there is a fuse or breaker for it, and turn it off that way?

Other than this problem, the thermostat and furnace seems to be working properly.

2. jerbear

jerbear Active Member

Your local gas company for your home may have a suggestion ,I would give them a call .I know it's not in your house but it's a safety issue on your property and they are always willing to help in some way . Just off the cuff if the thermostat have a mercury ball in it it may not be working properly . Not sure if they use mercury balls any more ,that shows you how old I am . Hope you get it straightened out soon until then I would cut the gas and electric off of it .

3. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Simple way to check is to remove the thermostat, if it shuts off and stays off its bad. If the fan keeps blowing then the thermostat is good and s omethong else is wrong.

4. Fixitup

Fixitup Active Member

Are you sure tstat is off. There is an on/off switch as well as temp switch. The actuall switch, is very hard to cut on and off. It almost feels like you are going to break it when moving.

nineoaks2004 likes this.
  5. aardvark

aardvark Member

This was my foolishness. You were right Fixitup. I was able to click the thermostet switch into the off position, and that seemed to do it.

Rik Peery likes this.
  6. Lug_Nut

Lug_Nut Active Member

Guilty here as well.
    I had been performing a pre-check prior to our departure, (like three weeks before, do I need to mention I can't wait?) in the last day of 95+F, and the furnace was one of the checks.
    I went out the next 50 ish F morning and heard a fan running. I thought it was the car just finishing up it's overnight battery charge when I realized it was from the pop-up furnace I had turned all the way down, but not turned to off.
    If that is the worst "SPUT" I manage, I can live with it.