Furnace doesn't come on

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by BillyMc, Sep 4, 2018.

1. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

Our Atwood/Hydro Flame furnace is no longer working. I'm not familiar with these, but there is no power to either side of the thermostat. There is a 5amp circuit breaker that will not stay set. I thought this was going to be the problem, but I put a 5amp fuse in it's place. I now have power going through, but the furnace will still not start. Really didn't have much time to mess with it today. It worked like a champ this past April, but nothing now. I'm going to try to find a wiring diagram, because I don't know how it works.

2. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Is the battery charged,? also did you bleed the LP lines? If the furnace is DSL is it clicking?
    one other thing, what is the temp in the unit? If it is too high the furnace will not come on unless you jumper the thermostat.

3. BillyMc

Battery 14.2v - stove working - DSL? - It has no pilot light. When the temp drops below the set temp the fan kicks on then you hear clicking and the flame ignite is how it worked last April. Now nothing happens at all. I'm pretty sure the breaker is bad anyway because it will not stay set even with no power to it. I also jumped the thermostat to eliminate it as the problem and still nothing. Ran out of time and this is where I stand with the problem.

4. nineoaks2004

If the breaker wou't re-set it could be a bad breaker, or a short to ground somewhere on the line, check for rodent chewing on the wires as they have been known to chew the wiring up.

5. rabird

rabird Howdy!

BillyMc likes this.
  6. BillyMc

Found it! A wire under a cabinet got unplugged some how. I will look at this as a blessing, because that breaker is bad. Even in the tripped position the furnace still works. Now to find out exactly what furnace I have. Most of them have a 3.4amp draw, but one model has a 1.8amp draw. I can find a serial number, but haven't found the model number yet. Guess I could just check it with an amp meter. Thanks for the link rabird.

7. nineoaks2004

Breakers usually are for 110 v, 12vDC uses fuses...

8. BillyMc

Well that 5amp Atwood breaker is over $20! That's crazy it's the same dimensions and specs as a R59-5. A R59-5 breaker is less than $10. Guess what breaker is going back in it. I'd leave the 5amp fuse in it before I'd pay $20+ for it.

9. BillyMc

Well it isn't the lower current draw model. It draws 3.37amps :(