Furnace help!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by kmped, Dec 8, 2017.

1. kmped

kmped New Member

Hello everyone,
    First time poster here. I am new to the pop-up world as I just purchased my first from a family member a month ago. I'm from ND, so we won't be able to use until Spring. I have a furnace question though and I'm sure someone will be able to help!

My family member said the furnace should work, however they only used the pop-up during the summer so they haven't used it in years. She recommended I get the "pipes" checked out before using it. Can someone tell me what we need to check? Is this something we are able to do ourselves? (Boyfriend is very handy) or do I need to take it in? We will probably be using the furnace and don't want anything to happen!

Model information: 2000 Jayco Eagle 10UD

2. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Welcome. There is air intake and exhaust pipes as well as small places inside the unit that can get dust and spiders in them. I manual on your unit should show you what to do.

3. xvz12

xvz12 Well-Known Member

If it were me, i would check the flexible hose between the propane bottle(s) where it enters/goes under the pup for cracks or deterioration, the hard lines are most likely fine...other than that, check the furnace itself for dust bunnies, etc. Then follow the furnace's startup instructions, you may find it helpful to start & run the gas stove for a few minutes (if your pup has one), to bleed any air from the lines before starting the furnace. If you don't have the instructions for your furnace, if you get the make/ model# off of the furnace, you can find the operating manual via Google, or possibly here on this site. Good luck & happy camping!

4. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I know the first thing to check it to make sure bugs/critters didn't make a nest in the vent on the side of your camper. Over the winter it is best to put a screen over it or pack it with steel wool to prevent the buggers from moving in.

5. Pit 4 Brains

Pit 4 Brains Member

Look into the exhaust / intake on the side for debris. If there's none, send it some propane and fire it up.

generok likes this.