Furnace help :(

Kevin A

Apr 28, 2021
Just got back from my Thanksgiving camping trip. After bragging so much on how everything worked on my 1993 Starcraft, I ran into issues with my furnace on my trip. My pup has an atwood 12v/propane DSI furnace and after about 2 hour of use on the trip, it started this weird cycle where it would try to light repeatedly and it would almost "pop" or "backfire" out the exhaust. Occasionally it would light and I could feel heat coming out, but it would shut off after about 10 seconds. If I turned the furnace off and waited about an hour - it would fire right up and run for about an hour before it would start the intermittent no light/occasional light/popping thing. My tanks were probably half full. I did exchange the tanks mid-trip, but didn't mess much with the furnace after that as I just started using my electric fireplace for the rest of the trip.

What are your thoughts? I'm not sure where to start...

My thoughts are:
Control board?
Lack of gas pressure?
Low 12v battery voltage? (though I was plugged in the whole trip)
Dirty something?

xxxapache

Super Active Member
Jul 30, 2008
The first thing I would do is light the stove and let it burn to purge air from the gas lines from the tank swap, and then try the furnace again.

Kevin A

Apr 28, 2021
The first thing I would do is light the stove and let it burn to purge air from the gas lines from the tank swap, and then try the furnace again.
I had already purged the lines when it was running off the first set of bottles, so I don't think that's the issue.

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj
Clean out the propane lines and orafices. I would think a backfire is an abondance of fuel, not lack of it. So, fuel is buiding up and not burning for some reason. Then boom. Maybe just needs a new igniter? Not sure how it works exactly or if it has boards beeing its a 1993 heater.