Furnace issues

Discussion in 'A-Frame PopUps' started by Bob Flynn, Oct 19, 2021.

1. Bob Flynn

Bob Flynn New Member

This spring my Atwood furnace in my Ranger 10 worked great. First cool night this spring my furnace would not come on. I noticed a blown fuse. Replaced fuse, but still no furnace. Does anyone know if there’s any reset switch or something easy I’m missing?

thermostat clicks when I turn on
    I have gas to my cook top

2. LilRed

LilRed Well-Known Member

Do you have any fan kick on? There may be another fuse at the furnace too. If you have fan, is it powerful enough to trip the sail switch? [edit:fixed typo]

Last edited: Oct 19, 2021
  3. davido

davido Well-Known Member

The function of the sail switch (misspelled in "LilRed's" post, above) is to validate that the fan is circulating combustion air and exhaust, and that the interior fan is circulating cabin air correctly. There are two failure modes that involve the sail switch.

• Your blower actually isn't coming on or spinning quickly enough. This is the primary purpose of the sail switch.
    • Your blower is coming on but the switch isn't detecting it. This is a failure of the sail switch itself.
    If you can find the sail switch and bypass it for testing purposes only, and suddenly everything works, your sail switch needs to be replaced. If things continue not to work, it's possible your blower motor has failed, or the control board that turns on the blower (a relay, for example).

If the blower is coming on but you're not getting heat, then it's propane or ignition related, which could either be the control board, or the ignitor itself, or the propane supply, or the burner.

Hilldweller likes this.
  4. Econ

Econ Well-Known Member

Are you hearing a loud clacking noise and confusing it as the thermostat clicking?
    That would be the gas valves opening from a command from the control board. It is the last step before the igniter attempts. It is assumed that the heater is a 7916 mk2 mounted at floor level. Does the fan come on in the beginning.?

The reset switch is behind the grille. There is a fastener on the bottom of the heater's front panel you need to turn a quarter turn. There are two screws holding approx 4 by 6" metal plate vertical at the bottom. Take the top screw and side screw out and look in the center of the board. See the red neon light? Is it flashing out a code when you turn the thermo?

Do you keep dog/cats in there when you camp.

Measure the voltage at the back of the reset/ on off switch. Over 11VT DC. Have you tried starting it on 120ACV?

The sail switch is buried deep in the back of the unit. You have to pull the unit and is a popular answer on this board, frequently not correct..

Last edited: Oct 19, 2021
    Sjm9911 likes this.
  5. Econ

Econ Well-Known Member

Look on the upper right corner of the control board as viewed from the cabin side of the board. There is the power connector and beside is the blower connection. You can hot wire the blower from that point to see if it works.

The board is $100.00. Dont buy the OEM if that is the problem. Describe exactly what you did and what responses from the heater. What year is the camper?

6. Bob Flynn

Bob Flynn New Member

No fan just a tiny click when I move the thermostat.

7. Econ

Econ Well-Known Member

Jump the blower and measure voltage at the reset switch. Also see if there is a code on the control board. Our input is only as good as the answers provided.

8. S4nsc

S4nsc Member

Are there any blinking lights on the control board? If it times out, the control board has to be reset with a power cycle and maybe lowering then resetting the thermostat. Been a while since we needed heat in Florida.

9. Bob Flynn

Bob Flynn New Member

It is a 2018 aliner. By control board do you mean where the fuses are? There was a light on, but I assumed it meant that fuse was blown.

10. Econ

Econ Well-Known Member

The problem is he won't spend the time to explain what he has done and what he knows. He's the one who should be writing paragraphs not us guessing.
    Our input is only as good as the answers provided.

He wont even spend the time to answer the questions asked. He should atleast respond with I dont know or ask questions that wil get us further down the path. I'm guessing the fuse he blew is on the converter not the control panel. I told him how to find the control panel. I'm thinking it's wiring harness or stalled blower motor. I'm finished with this until he learns to type.

11. Bob Flynn

Bob Flynn New Member

I’m sorry I can’t answer questions in a timely enough manner.
    I can’t see in your answer where the control panel actually is.
    I do camp with a dog.
    I do not have a meter to check any voltage.
    The grille where the heat comes out is not held on with regular screws or even Allen head. It’s square a square head I can not remove with my current tools.
    I apologize if I was out of line asking if there was an easy answer to this.

12. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Sounds like a Robertson screw driver, should be able to pick a set up at a hardware store, had to buy a set for my teardrop...

13. S4nsc

S4nsc Member

If it is like the grill on the unit in my Ranger 15, you turn the "screw" 90 degrees and then you can pop the cover off. It isn't really a screw, Google has informed me that it is called a nylatch.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2021
  14. Susan Premo

Susan Premo Well-Known Member

There is a group on Facebook aliner owners club, they may be more up your alley, I'm a member and it's an interesting group.

15. Econ

Econ Well-Known Member

Someone wants to know why I wanted to know if there was a dog /cat in the camper. A sail switch is an on off switch actuated by a roughly 3" lever with a precisely calculated paddle. The blower airflow pushes on the paddle and if it generates enough wind it turns the switch on. It is a safety device. A lot of safety depends on a working blower and this proves blower RPM to the control panel. People here are quick to point out its a bad sail switch but dont mention there is a second safety device wired into the same circuit in series. Poor limit switch gets no love. If the sail switch has enough airflow it may still not turn on if the limit doesnt complete the circuit. The limit switch detects overheating. Located on the front of the heater.

The purpose of the first 15 to 30 seconds of the fan blowing is to clear any possible propane still in the combustion chamber. An overcharged combustion chamber could have a little explosion.

So why dog hair? Dog/cat hair can gunk up the paddle and restrict its movement. There could be sufficient airflow but the restricted paddle doesnt read it as so. A good vacuuming of the cabinets maybe in order. Wonder if you can make a air filter for the incoming air?

Very important. It is best to hook up the camper to 120VAC when trying to DX a problem on a Atwood 7916 MArk 2. Mine is one of the newer flavors. It requires that power supplied to the blower motor between 10.5VDC and 13.5 VDC. If your battery is weak you may not get enough blower RMP to be read.

I have had 3 "incidents". The first was a bad control board. The second I wrote off to condensation temporarily shorting the board. We were in a very humid environment with a lot of interior condensation and it worked a week later. The third was a break in the thermostat wire leading from the area beside the heater going to the thermo. Mine was the wire leading back to the heater.

16. Tait

Tait Active Member

Hi Bob - were you able to make any progress?

Rik Peery likes this.
  17. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member

Econ, a properly made control board should have all traces coated in a "conforming fluid" rendering them impervious to condensation.

I found this out when repairing the control board on my hot tub. ( a relay had melted down and a 240v trace burnt up)

18. Bob Flynn

Bob Flynn New Member

I’ve taken a break from this. I’m obviously a novice at these kinds of things. I can’t even find a control panel that is spoken of. My hot air comes out below the sink. This is my view when I take the cover off. There is no opening behind this except for the small exhaust vent. 0CDA85BA-2B13-4E7A-96EB-FDCF7E29B8B2.jpeg 79E8CFBD-5386-4BDC-969D-BBC1D009A4DD.jpeg 96951D74-FF8D-4658-A04C-2480C1C951AE.jpeg