Furnace just keeps running...

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by trtlchk, Apr 11, 2018.

1. trtlchk

trtlchk New Member

And I need help catching it! :)

But, seriously. We just bought a lightly used 2014 Flagstaff Highwall (HW27SC if it matters) a couple weeks ago. First PUP ever- we just graduated from tents. The PUP was winterized, but we took it out the first weekend and un-winterized it. Then, last weekend, as happens a lot here, we got another light freeze. So, we decided to do camp driveway and run the furnace in an attempt to get away without re-winterizing. It seems to have worked- plus it was fun. The low that night was 30 degrees F. So, a light freeze, not awful. We have the furnace that came with the PUP- A suburban either NT-16SEQ or NT-20SEQ (Not sure which it is, b/c the book that came with the PUP covers both.) We still have the standard thermostat that has no temperature specification, just about 10 levels from low to high. I just got a replacement thermostat so we can actually set a temperature, but haven't installed it yet. Saw several threads on that, so I hope to get that done this weekend.

So, the night we spent in the driveway, it was 30 degrees out, and we set the thermostat at about 1/3 of the way up. To be clear, less than halfway. The furnace ran, and put out heat. LOTS of heat in the area right around it (kitchen/bath/back bunk), and we were comfortable under the covers with the dog in the front bunk far from the furnace. We did use one of the bunk end fans to get some circulation of the heat. We have not installed any sort of extra insulation- no bunk end covers, no reflectix in the windows, nothing yet. But it wasn't very windy and I didn't feel any significant drafts.

My question is: The furnace ran ALL NIGHT. Never once shut off. I see posts where people doing power calculations assume that the furnace will run 15 minutes out of every hour. This was definitely not our experience. Is this normal at that outside temp, or should I start looking for an issue with the furnace? Is 1/3 too high for me to set the thermostat? I don't know what it equates to in actual temperature, but we keep the house set to 58 at night, and I felt that the PUP was probably slightly lower than that, 50-55 probably. I didn't have a thermometer handy at the time. :(

Thanks everyone!

2. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

The problem maybe that your Thermostat is located low and with no extra insulation and the Heater on Low The temp in the bottom of the camper never reached your setting.

3. trtlchk

trtlchk New Member

It could be that- but from what I can tell, our thermostat's actually not located all that low. Since it's a highwall model, we don't have the swing down galley, and the thermostat is located just a couple inches below the counter top. But, it is close to the door. I've seen some pics where the thermostat is near the floor. I can imagine that would definitely have an impact. I really wish I had already changed out the thermostat, because that would at least give me a data point as to what temperature the thermostat is seeing as well as what temperature the heater is trying to achieve.

4. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

The only real test is to know what you had the thermostat set at, and then have another thermometer to see if it was maintaining that temp, or struggling. We've camped into the mid to high 30s, and the furnace would cycle on and off (more off than on, once the temp was achieved).

crackerJack likes this.
  5. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

As others have stated, your setting was too high. The thermostat never got to the temp to shut it off.

I usually set mine to turn on, get it comfortable, then back the thermostat down until the gas shuts off (you'll hear the change in the furnace). Then I know the furnace will come on when it gets colder than the temp in the pup. I also use a ceramic heater in the end opposite of the furnace to help even out the heat a bit.

Fless likes this.
  6. trtlchk

trtlchk New Member

Thanks guys!
    Theseus- that's a great idea! I'll probably even use that with the digital, since it only reads a local temperature and that's not necessarily indicative of the more widespread temperature.

I just finished putting in a Honeywell digital thermostat- and, of course, it's 80 degrees today! A cold front is coming through tonight and our low Sunday morning is supposed to be 35, so I guess we'll do camp driveway again! [:D] I'll let you guys know if I run into any issues.

theseus and jnc like this.