Furnace makes rattling noises

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by dman40, Sep 18, 2011.

1. dman40

dman40 New Member

Hi

I own a 2011 rockwood 1980. Its been pretty good camping with it but towards the end of my camping season i started to hear a rattling noise(tin to tin sound)when it reached tempurature I took it back to the dealer but he said it was loose and its normal to hear noises from the furnace, the rattling is still their. I was just wondering if anyone has had the same issues and how you went about fixing it. As well how difficult is it to remove the furnace?

Thanks in advance

2. jcampbell

jcampbell New Member

What type of furnace do you have? Mine is a Suburban and it makes a hell of a whining and vibrating noise from the fan motor. Apparently this is normal for these furnaces. Cant say I hear a (tin to tin) sound but I know that it is normal for the heat chamber to emit a ping,ping sound when heating up and cooling down. My brothers pup has an Atwood and his is much quieter than mine. Wish I had his furnace.

3. dman40

dman40 New Member

Thanks for the reply.
    mine is a suburban and the only reason I'm asking is, that it never made the noise in our first few camping trips... it start towards the end of our camping trips. The first few trips this summer it was quiet as a mouse, then the rattling happened and it got me alittle worried. I checked online about suburbans and they say that their can be a problem with numerous things. Go figure my first PUP and me being protective LOL...

4. RonB

RonB New Member

The furnace on our Niagara had a tinny rattling sound when we bought it, used, last summer. I FIXED IT and couldn't be more proud of myself! [:D]

But I don't have a clue what was really wrong. I pulled the inside face plate off (about four screws as I recall) and probed around inside with a screwdriver and a nutdriver. Anything that looked like a screw, nut or bolt got tightened. It stopped rattling.

Gonna have to do it again because it started buzzing again, a little, during our recent three-week outing.

RonB

5. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

Yep, vibrations are pretty common on any furnace with an electric fan running.

You can usually lessen the vibration by ensuring that the fan's blades are clean and that all the screws, nuts and bolts are good and snug and that any rubber pads, grommets or shock mounts are in still in place.

6. dman40

dman40 New Member

I was thinking if their was any removal instructions for these types of furnaces. Maybe Id take it apart and see what I can do, instead of the dealer?

7. Rockies Bill

Rockies Bill Runnin' with the pack!

This is common? I've had my Yuma for 3 camping seasons and the heater fan doesn't make this noise. I know I probably jinks myself for saying that. I would check for anything obvious, like loose screws.

8. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

Neither of the furnace fans on my trailers (Yuma previously and TrailManor currently) made/makes any rattling noise -- just the sound of the air moving. However, I did have a situation on the TrailManor with the Fantastic Fan. I was on a kick to tighten all screws. I went around the trailer inside and out checking them and tightening where needed. The frame that holds the screen on the Fantastic Fan had a couple of screws that needed a half turn or so. After doing this I tried the fan and it rattled when it had never rattled before. It had to be my adjustment. I back those two screws off to their original position and the rattling stopped. Snugging the screws up was just enough to put the edge of the frame in contact with the fan blades.

9. 14erfam

14erfam Member

I had a similar experience with my Atwood furnace. Only it sounded like the fan blades in the blower motor were hitting something metal inside. I didn't take the furnace out, but I did tighten up as many screws as I could find on the furnace box assembly. That seemed to do the trick. I'm guessing I firmed up some type of motor bracket on the inside, but not really sure what I did. But tightnening the screws worked- furnace runs great!

Also, leveling the camper well helps with this too.

10. Jumanji

Jumanji Beautiful BC

I also had a loud metal on metal sound coming from my furnace in my 2004 Rockwood. But it didn't sound like it was coming from the fans or motor. I did multiple searches and couldn't find any helpful fixes. I pulled the whole box out, tightened every screw I could and covered the whole thing in Dynamat sound matting. It got a little better but the main vibration was still there. After more prodding I discovered that the bracket (part 53) that holds the limit switch was touching the chamber housing (part 54) and was creating a loud metal on metal vibration when the furnace got hot. The bracket is only secured one side which allowed the other side that was touching the chamber housing to vibrate a lot. I pried it back as much as I could and the vibration has stopped. It doesn't wake me every time it comes on now :)

The furnace isn't too difficult to remove. There's just a couple screws on the bottom that hold it in place. It does take a good amount of muscle to pull it out though as it's wedged onto the rear vent really well.

[​IMG]