Furnace Pilot Flame Question

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by Lusche, Mar 11, 2018.

1. Lusche

Lusche New Member

Ive got an old Duo Therm furnace without a blower fan (gravity furnace?). The pilot won't stay lit. I am questioning the position of the pilot/thermocouple. As is, the thermocouple is about an inch below the pilot. Holding the pilot button down, the flame never touches the thermocouple, at closest about a quarter inch away. I tried the pilot adjustment screw, but the flame never gets any closer. Shouldn't the flame make actual contact? If so, are the two reversed in position? Should the thermocouple be above the pilot flame? Or should the flame reach down far enough to touch the thermocouple?

2. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

3. Lusche

Lusche New Member

It's a 1974 Starcraft. This particular model furnace does not use a blower. There isn't a thermostat besides the Hi-Lo knob on the gas valve.

4. jorgewolfe

jorgewolfe Member

I have the same one on my 1978 Starmaster 6. I looked everywhere for the blower then realized it didn't have one! The gas valve has a numbered knob and it does switch off when it decides it should. the pilot flame should heat the tube if it is going to stay lit - mine does.

Lusche likes this.
  5. Palomar1

Palomar1 New Member

Yes, the thermocouple must be above the pilot flame or it won't allow the gas to turn on to the burner.