Furnace questions

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Krazyk1879, Sep 15, 2019.

1. Krazyk1879

Krazyk1879 New Member

I have a 2002 Coleman Laramie. It don’t have a furnace but I want to put one in. My question is has any one done this and if so what do I need and what do I need to know Plezz help

2. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

It needs propane and 12 volts. It needs intake air and exhaust to the outside. Vents to put the hot air in the cabin. You also need a place to put it.
    What would you need to know? Basic 12 wiring. Duct plumbing. Gas plumbing, and mechanical skills.

generok likes this.
  3. Krazyk1879

Krazyk1879 New Member

4. generok

generok Well-Known Member

Sure, it can be done. The question is, how motivated and skilled are you?

You're going to have to find a spot in the cabinetry to locate a typical furnace. If it didn't come with one, there is typically a spot where one would have been installed as an option. You're going to need to cut a hole, fairly straight and clean, in that cabinetry. Then, you're going to need to cut a hole all the way through the outside wall of the pop-up (PUP). That hole on the outside will need to be pretty precise. You will need to mount the furnace exhaust through the exterior hole, put on the plates and seal it against water infiltration.

You will also need to run a pretty good 12V wire to the furnace from the power converter. They may have run a dead lead in there for the option, but I doubt it. You will also need to run propane (LP) piping to the furnace. If it is near the indoor stove location, you may be able to tee off the main line, then convert to copper tubing. You will need to know how to bend tubing and install LP rated flare fittings. You will need to run a thermostat and wire to the furnace and find a place to mount it.

So, it's not a Saturday afternoon thing, it will take some time. But, doable if you have the skills, patience, proper tools and a place to work.

Or, you could buy a Buddy Heater, crack a window vent, and be done with it. Link here: https://www.amazon.com/Heater-Big-B...ocphy=9033846&hvtargid=pla-569646078431&psc=1

Good luck, let us know what you decide to do.

5. Krazyk1879

Krazyk1879 New Member

So I had an old hybrid camper I scraped it away and I took some of the stuff like the furnace and all that was with it will that work

6. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

If you know what you are doing and the unit works.

7. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Stay at electrical hook ups and get an electrical heater. Or a propane bottle and a mr buddy heater. Dont even think of putting in a furnace.

8. Krazyk1879

Krazyk1879 New Member

Arnt the mr buddy heaters unsafe?

9. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Not if used corectly. Many people use them. Just make sure you have a co detector and dont put it next to your tenting.