Furnace won't stay lit

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by htrichardson, Jul 4, 2013.

1. htrichardson

htrichardson New Member

Hi All!

I have a 1998 Bayside. The pilot light lights, and the furnace will eventually kick on, but shuts down within a few minutes. Any ideas?

Also, the outside stove does not work. I can see a faint blue flame around the burners, but goes out quick.

2. mark.sibole

mark.sibole New Member

if pilot light lights and stays lit thermocouple should be ok it may be the fan limit switch.Not only does it control the fan turning on and off but it controls over heating uf the furnace.If that dosnt solve it look for any obstructions in the blower system and vent system.Most new furnaces uses a fan to add air in the combustion chamber to keep the flame going.If not enough oxygen the system will shut down.

3. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

There is am anticipator in the thermostat . I have found many are set to the lowest value or very close (low number short cycle, high long cycles). What the anticipator does is antisipats the hot air flowing across the room and it is a small heater which heats the thermostats so in a well insulated house by the time the air reaches the thermostat and warms it up, the house is warmer then the required temp. So by heating the stat it warms at about the same rate as the air in the house.

The proper why to set it is to measure the micro amps that sent to the furnace from the state when there is demand. So low setting on the antispator would supply the highest amps to the small heater and a higher number supplies smaller amps to the heater.

Remove the front cover, you will see a small slide with very small numbers starting at like .12, .15, .2, .3, .... .6, set to the higher end of the scale. higher equal longer cycles, smaller number equals shorter cycles. I set mine almost to the max because the pup has almost no insulation. It will heat a little pass the desired temp, but cycle less. The correct way is to use a micro amp meter and set it property, but with a pup not sure that is needed.

4. keng

keng New Member

If your stove is not workin properly as well, you probably have a gas problem. Seeing a small flame at the burners that goes out is a sign of a bad regulator or clogged lines. You need a qualified person to check pressure at appliances with a monometer and go from there.

5. crazyazcat

crazyazcat New Member

Shut your gas all the way off and relieve any pressure from the lines (Either turn on your external stove or simply remove the connection from the tank). Wait a minute or so then reconnect and SLOWLY open the gas valve. If you hear a "click" in the regulator it means the pressure safety kicked in and you need to relieve the pressure again.

First check that your stove is working. If the flame looks good, try your furnace. If the furnace is still kicking off, check your exhaust port to make sure it's not clogged. My camper had wasps build a nest in there and the furnace wouldn't stay running due to co2 precautions.

-=Rob=-