fuses - self indicating

Discussion in 'Wiring' started by Anthony Hitchings, Aug 30, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Active Member

do yourself a favor, replace all fuses with the self-indicating type, except maybe on newish converters that have indications for blown fuses. And if using inline fuses, also leave the black covers off so that you can see the indicating light.

Its really handy, used that feature on two different circuits on my recent trip.

Raycfe and Sjm9911 like this.
  2. joet

joet Well-Known Member

And new converters have red leds that will light beside the blown fuse. Anything to keep from having to pull all the fuses to find the blown one

3. Anthony Hitchings

Yes, my new Progressive Dynamics converter has such LEDs. They are not used (all but one or two) because I have separate sub panels for branch circuits. Having a fuse in each branch circuits and all main circuits (each battery etc) makes trouble shooting sooo much easier. This includes the input circuit for external boost power plug.

4. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

What are you doing that is blowing fuses that often? I haven't blown one yet, except when I messed up installing a new device one time and had a short at a staple

xxxapache likes this.
  5. Anthony Hitchings

I did not say often. So far its two blown fuses - total - one inside the ALiner, one outside on the DC-DC-boost. One fuse blew due to a mistake in my connecting a PV panel on the battery boost port (which was fused), the other was on the DC-DC boost cord to the external battery pair supplying the energy - the fuse was undersized by a smidgen. I have two internal batteries, switched (rotary) , one on-board PV panel and one external PV port (switched, rotary), and one external port for boost power (DC). Plus the AC-DC converter (not used so far, now that the on-board PV is working). Its no small effort to keep all this and all the branch circuits discrete and organized, so if in doubt I include a fuse - and its worked well so afar.

6. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

Sorry, you mentioned two blown "on a recent trip" so I extrapolated :)