Future bike rack build

Discussion in 'Biking' started by fortriede, Apr 26, 2016.

1. fortriede

fortriede New Member

Good evening.

It's getting about time for camping season, which means making more modifications to my setup. I have a 1995 Starcraft Starlounge, new to me last year. I have three little girls (4, 2, and 2 weeks) and want to build a bike rack for us. Obviously the new baby won't need one, but my wife and I want to make a five bike carrier so that we have plenty of room for the future.

I found a PVC bike carrier that attaches to the roof built by a user here that looked pretty good (see picture attached). They used 3/4" EMT pipe for the long sides to help add strength to the setup. I want to go a little bit further, and wanted some input on this idea.

I would build a rectangle frame out of 3/4" galvanized pipe. On top of this I would slide the PVC frame that contains the uprights that hold the front bike wheels in place. There would be no PVC covering the metal frame on the two short sides that run front to back. I would strap the metal frame to the popup with ratchet straps running underneath the popup, and then strap the bikes down to the metal frame.

Essentially the PVC would be there to 1) pad the roof and the bikes, and 2) keep the bikes sitting upright and properly spaced. In theory, the PVC could fail and the bikes would fall over on their side but would still be securely attached to the roof.

Thoughts on this? Hopefully I've described my idea clearly.

Attached Files:

2. cyclop5

cyclop5 Active Member Silver Supporting Member

about the only input I can give is that I'd be conscious of the roof's weight limit. Especially if you already have an A/C unit installed. Otherwise, it sounds like it might work. [:D]

3. fortriede

fortriede New Member

Good thought. I do have an AC unit installed. Any idea what the max weight my roof can support when closed down? I'd take the entire unit off before I raise the roof.

4. ronnie

ronnie Member