FYI Great and Powerful WiFi antenna

Discussion in 'Campsite Electronics' started by rsdata, Sep 1, 2014.

1. rsdata

rsdata Member

Two weeks ago I ordered an item from Amazon,

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DJ23D3W/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is a USB WiFi antenna with a 30 foot connector permanently attached. At first I merely placed the antenna on the roof of my Shamrock HTT, and fed the cable under the door so that I could try it inside. My laptop will not receive a signal, even when I use an external WiFi card with a 6 inch antenna from my home router about 200 feet and two walls away. When I plugged this in, the signal junped to 4 bars and I went full speed, including watching streaming video. I had to download drivers for my Win Vista machine, but it worked great as soon as I did. Win7 it is reported work with the native Win7 drivers.

I am so pleased with this unit, I purchased another for my auto. I also spent about an hour mounting this unit to my TV antenna mast in such a way that it will not interfere with the TV antenna, and I can point it using the rotator. I used a length of plastic data conduit (Panduit) glued to the side of my RV, routing the cable from the roof to the satelite/cable input box on the side of the HTT. I removed the input box cap and ran the cable into the hole in the side of the HTT, then replaced and recaulked the plate. I then routed the cable so that it comes up by my dinette. There is at least 12 foot of cable inside the HTT, giving me plenty of spots to be able to use my computer online.

2. swordfish

swordfish Well-Known Member

What are you using it for? to pull in weak CG wifi signals?

3. HiFiDave

HiFiDave Singin round the campfire

A usb antenna wouldn't work for us, glad it does for you though. We need to repeat the wifi for a wireless LAN around our pup so any one of us with the key can log on. Laptops, phones, tablets etc. Our antenna can pick up an open wifi from a flat mile out.

(The white antenna up there)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. swordfish

I find the wifi problem at CG is band width rather than signal strength. If you are getting wifi signals from elsewhere, very few are free and I certainly don't know how to crack passcode.

What do you guys do for weak cell phone signals like in state forests?

5. HiFiDave

HiFiDave Singin round the campfire

For me? Nothing. I have a cell phone antenna in my foothills office but it needs the WAN (internet) to work.

6. swordfish

Well, I ordered a 32' aluminum mast in 8 stackable sections. I will probably try my hot spot first and later go for cell signal booster or wifi antenna. One thing at a time.

7. rsdata

rsdata Member

HiFi Dave, I did consider your solution from your earlier posts. I have an EnGenius outdoor access point from a previous project that I am going to try mounted on a 15 foot mast with a tripod base. I also mount my 60mi hi-def antenna on that mast.

I am hoping to get some WiFi reception this year, after being shutout completely last year during my 3 month stay in FL state camp grounds during the winter.

I was just tickled by the price and the 30 foot cord on this unit, and how well it worked in my driveway. I am going to take the second unit in the TV, mount a magnet to the antenna base, and use it mobile, maybe while parked outside a WiFi hotspot.

8. swordfish

Just sharing my antenna mounting ideas.
    The base is a piece of 2x10 with a pipe flange. Once the base is staked down to the ground, the anntenna can sit over the pipe with some hands-free stability for further setup
    [​IMG]

The 2nd anchor point is using the lift post with a set of clamps
    [​IMG]

3rd and 4th anchors will be guy rings and guy lines.
    [​IMG]

9. rsdata

rsdata Member

Here is some details of how I mounted this USB antenna

[​IMG]
    free image uploading

I screwed a small 4x4 inch piece of sheet aluminum to the aluminum rear cover of the antenna, allowing about 3/4 inch of the sheet aluminum to overlap the edge. This edge I screwed with self tap screws into the antenna mast of the HTT. I liberally applied sealent to all outside edges of the antenna to help prevent water leakage. When the mast is up, the antenna will be in the correct position and will be able to rotate with the antenna.

[​IMG]
    image hosting above 5 mb

I tied off the cable, then attached Panduit (brand) cable duct to the side of the antenna port on the side of the HTT using the two-way tape on the Panduit. I unscrewed the port from the camper side, and routed the cable to the interior. I reinstalled the cable port door and resealed with caulk. Still gives me about 12 feet of USB cable on the inside of the camper.

10. bondo54

bondo54 Active Member

11. swordfish

Thank you, Bpondo. This one looks affordable and good for mobile use as well. How long is the antenna cable?

12. bondo54

bondo54 Active Member

12 foot

13. lifespeed

lifespeed Member

LOL, the trailer wireless network. Love it. [:D]

14. lifespeed

lifespeed Member

I still can't figure out if this was supposed to have a smiley after it . . .