FYI, SC campers be aware

Discussion in 'South Carolina' started by speckhunter80, Aug 8, 2018.

1. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

I haven't personally witnessed this, but I also steer clear on high demand campgrounds. Pretty much all camp ground raise rates at peak time anyway.

2. William Freeman

William Freeman Active Member

I was looking around today for a reservation Oct 5-7 and found quite a few that are available for the regular price and at parks that are usually hard to reserve only a month out. I guess those sites will start going up in a couple of weeks.

3. nhlakes

nhlakes Well-Known Member

There is a trend across the country for state parks to become self-funded and not subsidized by the state's 'general fund' like most have been for decades. This is causing parks to come up with creative ways of paying the bills, especially in states where most camping is seasonal.

Regarding SC's price increase due to supply and demand... I camp at SC state parks annually but usually just on my way south (then later north) in Jan/Feb when I'm about the only one there. Does that mean I get a site for LESS money? ;)

4. SNOBIRDS-NY

SNOBIRDS-NY Member

Please don't let Andrew Cuomo get wind of this. He's never met a tax or a fee that he didn't try to implement to NY taxpayers. We bought a pup in PA in June, I still haven't registered in NY yet. With the sales tax and the plates and registration it's going to be above $1100.00 Then there is the inspection.

5. azfansinnc

azfansinnc New Member

Yep. Living in NC and wanting to go to the nicer parks in SC certainly requires advance planning unless you get lucky and find a last minute spot. If they are really using this new model, it will get worse. Adding to it is that our favorite SC CG, Hunting Island, lost half it's spots to Hurricane Matthew in 2016. No more beachfront loops.

6. SNOBIRDS-NY

SNOBIRDS-NY Member

Just an update on my previous thread. I finally registered my pup in NY. I estimated it would be over $1100. It was $1350.18!!! Thanks, Gov.