GA - Cloudland Canyon SP - Anybody been there?

Discussion in 'Georgia' started by RobertT, Feb 1, 2010.

1. RobertT

RobertT Robert T [AL] [USA]

Wondering if anyone has been to Cloudland Canyon SP near Trenton, GA (just southwest of Chattanooga, TN). We are trying to plan a trip to the mountains with some friends in Florida and this looked like a good spot from the GA parks website.

2. NatureGirl

NatureGirl New Member

I've never camped there, but have visited several times. IMO, it's the most beautiful state park in Georgia. You won't be disappointed.

3. awsandlin

awsandlin Active Member

25 plus years ago I lived in Chattanooga. I made a number of day trips out there, but never camped there. My wife and I went there just a few weeks after we were married. It is a really nice place.

4. DCampbell1969

DCampbell1969 New Member

I loved this park. I would try for a trip in the spring before the dry season sets in so that the waterfalls are more worth the hike. We camped here in 07 I think and they we redoing some of the sites in the west rim loop.

5. dgarbers

dgarbers New Member

Beautiful park - even when it is below freezing. The waterfall is just beautiful when it freezes!
    Nice hiking trails, too.

Have fun!

6. BrotherJohn

BrotherJohn New Member

We camped there a couple of years ago and enjoyed it very much. We stayed in the west loop. There are lots of nice hiking trails, small playgrounds, disc golf, and the rangers had some good programs going on. Nice camp store and friendly staff. The campground is remote so bring everything with you. You must hike the West Rim Trail, great view of the valley, hang gliders, and hawks.

7. micbur

micbur Working on "Camp Burton"...Opening Soon!

This was the very first place we camped at after picking up our PUP.....this was last year in July and had a wonderful time. This is so far our favorite CG and we have reservations for the weekend of April 2nd. We always stay on the West rim...lot more trees than on the East rim. Like the hiking trails there but beware of all the stairs to get down to the falls. Not bad going down but a killer climbing them back up. I hope to be posting some pictures this evening of what CG we visited last year and as we visit new ones this year. Check back and click on the photo link under my profile....

8. bcfloyd

bcfloyd New Member

We just got back from a 4 day trip to Cloudland Canyon. We stayed in the upper section of the West Rim campground, it was very nice. Paved thru roads, and the site we stayed on was perfectly level. Bathhouse was typical for most parks, nothing fancy, but the laundry facilities were very nice and clean. We checked out the East Rim campground, but like described above, very open with hardly any trees. The playground area in the East Rim campground was much nicer than the one at the West Rim sites, but my 3 boys never used them anyway.

We hiked the trails and stairs (all 418 of them) down to the falls on Tuesday, and did the upper side of the West Rim Loop trail on Thursday morning before we left. Wednesday we drove 25 minutes over to the Chickamauga National Civil War battlefields. I remembered them best from my boyscout days, but the weather and vandalism are taking their tolls on the monuments there.

The week were there at Cloudland Canyon, the construction crews had just started cutting in a new section of camping sites right below the existing West Rim campground. They said it would probably be finished by the end of the summer.
    [​IMG]

9. Travelhoveler

Travelhoveler New Member

We stayed there in February; it was pretty nice, though we were charged a day fee in addition to our pricey camping fee, which seemed outrageous to us, coming from a state with cheap campgrounds and no day fees.

The campground was nice enough, though no fire rings, just stone rings away from the pad. Not much privacy from other sites. But the sites were nice and level, and bathhouses, though old, were fairly clean. The west campground seems much nicer than the east one which is right on the road; the east was closed when we were there but we could see it from the road.

The falls were very attractive though.

[​IMG]

10. BigCat76

BigCat76 New Member

I am going there this weekend. I have never been there. Pretty excited about it... :) [CP]

11. BigCat76

BigCat76 New Member

Camped there Friday thru Sunday. Did some hiking Saturday. Saw 2 waterfalls and lots of great views of the canyon. Very nice views. The camp sites were pretty close together and the sites stayed full. It was nice to see so many campers and hikers out. We saw plenty of tent campers, pup campers and larger campers out and about.

12. papachaz

papachaz New Member

Big Cat! good to see you getting out and using that popup! glad you had fun, we enjoyed cloudland last year when we stayed there. Our last trip was over to Hard Labor Creek State Park east of Atlanta, try that one sometime, you'll like it!

13. BigCat76

BigCat76 New Member

Papachaz, we will have to check out Hard Labor, thanks for the insight! We are trying to plan our next trip now! [CP]