GA-- F. D. Roosevelt State Park

Discussion in 'Georgia' started by tzmartin, Apr 23, 2018.

1. tzmartin

tzmartin Well-Known Member

We had a great time at this park over spring break week April 2018. My site was #103 overlooking the lake. Like most state parks the site was large for a pup and access to the lake/pond was easy. You can paddle all around if you like or just sit and watch everyone. Most sites are spaced out well.

#103 was near a pavilion. I was worried about people eating there and making noise, but there isn't a grill. If people use it then they'll probably just eat lunch and leave. It would be a great place to play games if rain comes and you're sick of sitting in the pup.

The sites near the water on the 100 loop are mostly for tents, although i think I could put my pup on them easily. If you can't get a water site, the 200/300 loop is nice. I suggest getting an outward facing #206 through #302 sites since there is a stream that feeds the lake there. Nice for kids to play in.

The #600 loop has relatively unlevel sites and it's accessable by a gravel road. They are mostly for tents but pups would fit well there if you have the skill to level out properly. These sites are close to the bath house. You'll also be in the woods more.

The other loops were closed for renovations.

Other attractions include Callaway Gardens. Take your bikes and ride for hours on paved trails. It's about 25 per person to enter the gardens, but worth the visit. There's a butterfly house, birds of prey show, and wonderful gardens to tour.

FDR's little white house is close by as well. Worth a day trip.

If you camp in the summer, the liberty bell pool is huge and would be a welcome relief to the heat. It's separate from the camp so you'll have to drive.

Lots of hiking trails in the park. We did the 3 mile loop around the campground. Someone has made a fairy house along the trail. Leave the fairy a note and she may answer it!

There's a back entrance and exit to the campground that saves 10 minutes to the highway.

Shoot me a note if you want more information.

2. BelchFire

BelchFire I speak fluent vise-grip

FDR is a great park. Was the 400 loop closed? We like the 400 loop because the sites are shaded and many back up to woods.

I don't know what to say about the drive from the park office to the campground except "Use LOW gear!" I did it pulling a popup; I'd be stressed to the max if I was pulling a 5th wheel. That's some steep asphalt for towing.

I'm glad you thought to make the comment about the back entrance; it saves a lot if you don't have to go the long way around. There's also a nice walking trail from the 400 loop over to the liberty bell pool that saves that long drive too.

The liberty bell pool is COLD, so be sure it's July when you want to go swimming. It's spring fed and has that typical 72° temp. The Little White House is cool, but of everything that it represents, I just never got the feeling of it being "presidential" in the least. I realize that we're talking about the 1930-40 period, but it didn't seem any different than my grandparents' house from the same time period.

Warm Springs, GA is a quaint little town, but we had a long wait at two different restaurants on two different visits. Be sure to visit Warm Springs Winery. We like the Old Atlanta. It's smooth and just a tad crisper than a pink Zinfandel.

12bar likes this.
  3. tzmartin

tzmartin Well-Known Member

Here's some pictures:
    IMG_1077.JPG IMG_1078.JPG IMG_1079.JPG IMG_1080.JPG

Orchid and 12bar like this.
  4. 12bar

12bar New Member

We have been camping at FDR for years and have never had a bad experience. For a great holiday experience camp at FDR and go to Calloway Gardens Fantasy Of Lights. It can be rather chilly at that time of the year but well worth it.

tzmartin and BelchFire like this.
  5. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Ack! And it looks like such a beautiful place, too.

I'm a WV native and spent most of my life living where every road had a high side and low side. I've lived smack in the middle of the highest peaks. Driving in the mountains, even in snow and ice didn't phase me at all.

Fast forward to now. I am totally freaked out by the thought of towing on any hills at all. I have yet to work up the nerve to leave Florida. I'm not even crazy about hills now, when on foot, let alone driving or towing. Not sure how I ended up with this phobia given my background.....

tzmartin likes this.
  6. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

I loved camping at FDR. It was a favorite of mine when we lived in Georgia. There was at the time a drive through safari place near there. My kids loved it. I wonder if it is still open....

7. BamaCamper

BamaCamper New Member

We just visited FDR for the first time. The good news is that the campground spots are roomy, and loops 200, 300, and 500 (campgrounds #2, #3, and #5) all had level spots, and grey water dumps every few spots. There were plenty of shaded spots and access to various hiking trails. I would rate the bath houses about 5 or 6 out of ten for size and condition, but they were fairly clean. Each side had only two showers.

The bad news and important note: if you are intending on swimming in the Liberty Bell Pool, understand that it is CLOSED on Mondays and Tuesdays! I didn't read the fine print and we had to adjust our whole trip as a consequence. I had read the banner that said "Open Memorial Day until Labor Day" and didn't think to check for closed days during the summer until it was too late. It was my fault, but it could have been clearer on the website and park literature.

Upon entering, the park is broken up into different sections and the signs are not entirely clear about campground registration. Some (most?) parks have separate campground offices, but this one does not: you need to check in at the main park office, then drive down to the campground. The park office did not have obvious camper parking, so I figured it was for guest info and park business only. Don't waste a trip down to the campground and then back up like I did.

It's downhill from the park office to the campground. Do you have brakes on your popup? Mine has electric brakes and I paid to have a brake controller harness added to my tow vehicle. My popup is pretty light (1900lbs dry) and technically doesn't require them, but I wouldn't run without them now. You don't feel the camper at all during braking, and fast stops are almost normal. It might be something you want to look into, especially if your popup already has electric brakes and you just need a brake controller to enable them.

8. BelchFire

BelchFire I speak fluent vise-grip

I have brakes and a brake controller. Stopping is easy, but riding your brakes on steep roads is never a good idea as it can burn out your brakes (on a car, a trailer, or both). I only mention it because I don't like driving on steep roads. I can handle it, but I don't like it.

9. Tennessee Tom

Tennessee Tom Member

10. Tennessee Tom

Tennessee Tom Member

Grew up in West Point , Georgia, about 30 minutes away. FDR State Park is where wife and I camped in our first PUP in 1977. Your post brought back a lot of memories. Was at Callaway Gardens and little White House in July 2019. Did not camp.

tzmartin likes this.