GA - General Coffee State Park

Discussion in 'Georgia' started by ktsmom, Jun 30, 2015.

1. ktsmom

ktsmom One Happy Camper!

Heading to this campground in early August. Anyone have any comments or advice about the area? Never been there.

2. brittthomas

brittthomas New Member

I'm from Coffee County and I had no idea they had a campground there till this week. [LOL]

I seen where a friend of mine took some of her nephews there for a couple of days. I'll ask her how it was and let you know.

3. oldstick

oldstick New Member

We stayed there a few times when our daughter was attending college there in Douglas. Can't remember many other attractions in the area, but there is a 1800s style farm village with animals on display in the park.

Convenient to shopping and restaurants there in Douglas. Also the Wild Adventures amusement park in Valdosta is within an hour or so.

4. southern gal

southern gal New Member

We just got back from a visit to General Coffee State Park. I thought I would post about it since it has been a few years since anyone has updated this forum. The campground is very nice and was very peaceful. We were in spot #43 in the second campground and had a somewhat shady spot. We used our tailgating tent to provide more shade over the picnic table. We had a fire ring with the grill and a free standing grill. The bathhouse was nice and clean. It wasn't brand new but it was still one of the better ones I've been in based on the cleanliness. My only complaint was no AC or fan in the bathroom. It was rather warm unless you propped the door open for ventilation. There was a washer and dryer outside of the bathhouse (between the two bathrooms) and a bookcase with several books and magazines. There weren't many other campers probably owing to the warm weather we've been having in this area. It wasn't unbearable. We had a warm breeze most of the time but were really glad we had AC in the camper. There is an old farm area with animals and an old homestead that is neat to visit. There are boardwalks near a large pond and there are trails in the park near the campground area. The campground store host was very nice and friendly and they seemed to have some basic supplies. They sold firewood (and I think ice). We also received a passcode to the gate in case we were out past 10 pm. Douglas is a few miles from the camp ground so if you want to eat out, buy supplies, or take in a movie, you are close enough to do so. We caught a movie on one of the warmer afternoons. This is a good campground to visit if you want to relax and enjoy nature. We liked it enough that we may go back in August.