GA-Hard Labor Creek State Park

Discussion in 'Georgia' started by tzmartin, Aug 8, 2016.

1. tzmartin

tzmartin Well-Known Member

Just returned from 3 night stay at Hard Labor Creek State Park. The campground has just reopened after undergoing many improvements. The bath houses are brand new structures and look great. Cleanest I've ever been in, as nice as Fort Wilderness. The roads have been repaved. The there are only about 50 sites in the CG and they are spaced apart pretty well. The tent sites are sometimes a little close. Drive the loops before getting your site. We stayed on site 38. It was a 45 foot site that held two cars and the PUP. We were on the back loop and had it mostly to ourselves. Kids rode bikes for hours on our loop. I would stay on site 40 next time as it had a nice access to a cold water stream. The 5th wheels and A's stayed toward the front of the CG where the sewage hook ups were. There's an incredible golf course there as well as a lake beach with all the usual activities with a lake. It was HOT so we didn't stay long at the beach. It was a quiet enjoyable time for the family. Highly recommend.

2. NegrilJerry

NegrilJerry Newbies in GA, we LOVE this site!

We're camped there twice, it was our first camping trip together (tenting) about 5 years ago...and then we went back last year for 4 nights. A little under 2 hrs east from Atlanta not very far off I-20, through the small town of Rutledge. Very pleasant and well run state park. Never been to their beach - it was closed (!) the first time when we went the week before Memorial Day due to repair/reno needed because of a tornado passing through. Really HOT that week, so we went east to Lake Oconee and found an unused boat ramp at the south end of the lake that worked for swimming.

Last fall it was fine at first...then the neighbors arrived. The LOUD neighbors. 3 campsites full of family/friends who felt the constant urge to shout across the campsites at each other. However when they came back from their party at the pavilion Friday night and were still carrying on at 11p, the nearby host came over and shut them down very vigorously! Finally Sunday came and they went, and we had the nice quiet area to ourselves, aahhh.

The small nearby Lake Rutledge is wonderful for kayaking and fishing, since no motors over 10hp are allowed, and (hallelujah) no jetskis of course. Smooth and quiet. We like to keep trying new campsites, but also keep returning to our favorites - we'll be back there.

3. tzmartin

Memorial Day Weekend 2017: Just returned from 4 night stay at Hard Labor Creek State Park. You can see my earlier post about general upgrades around the campground. All the campsite utilities are fairly new as well. Water pressure was high so use a pressure regulator. There aren't too many sites at this CG so make sure you have a reservation on a holiday. I couldn't get a 30ft site on reserve america for memorial day, but i did get a tent/popup site for the weekend. Not all tent/popup sites are good for popups. I have a bigger PUP and would not be able to fit on a couple of them. We stayed at #21 which was amazing! it was on a hill overlooking the lake and at the end of a nice loop. I parked the PUP sideways so the view was from the porch side of the camper. Utilities were a long way from the camper so I had to use a garden hose and invested in 30 amp extension cord. We made friends with several families with kids on the loop. T-mobile cellphone service does not work at the sites. We had a good stay overall. Send me any questions you might have!

4. RollTide30

RollTide30 Member

We also stayed at Hard Labor Creek over the Memorial Day weekend. I reserved a 45ft several months in advance. We got there on Thursday around 1pm and had our choice of sites. We selected #50 which is called the "cove site". Apparently it is always one of the first sites to go. It was a little distance from the bath houses, but not too bad. We selected it for the space in the site and the shade. With the exception of the buddy sites, most campsites have plenty of space between each other. I liked the fact that the campground was kind of away from everything else, in the park. The bath houses were very clean and well maintained. It was supposed to be full, but I did notice 3-4 sites that nobody ever checked into. I can't say enough good things about this campground. The staff was great. The camp hosts that I spoke too were great. We will definitely be back. HardLabor.jpg HardLabor2.jpg

5. Minimalist

Minimalist Active Member

I haven't camped their yet, but since nobody mentioned the MTB trails I thought I would. Great trails. Not overly technical and not too many elevation changes. You can also put together great routes for road biking from the park.

6. kudzu

kudzu Active Member

We've not camped here yet but are planning to in Oct. Haven't done so previously because it's only 1/2 hour from home. As mentioned by others, the lake is a very pleasant place to canoe or kayak & the MTB trails are really enjoyable... unless, like myself, you ride a recumbent trike. Yeah, yeah. I know trikes aren't meant for mtn biking but some trails work well, just not these. I persevered though & still had fun, when I wasn't hauling a 35 lb trike over logs & creeks. There's some nice light hiking if it hasn't been raining & you don't mind dodging some horse manure. There's a nature trail as well, sans horse poo.

What others haven't mentioned are the lovely road biking opportunities in the area surrounding and including the park. The small towns of Rutledge & Social Circle are an easy ride away. The both have some shopping opportunities, a few restaurants & ICE CREAM. Not sure why road biking must always include ice cream but it does. :) If you want to go a little farther, try riding to Madison. It is still small but a bit larger. With a lot of older homes, some large, and decent sized downtown square, it also makes a nice day outing from the campground for those more into driving tours.

tzmartin likes this.
  7. tzmartin

My friend John, who just bought an old popup a few weeks ago, is going this weekend on his first camping trip to Hard Labor Creek this weekend. I'm going to hang out over there after he sets everything up. I repeat--after he sets everything up. Apparently there will be beer and burritos involved. I'll make sure he posts some photos.