GA.-- John Tanner State Park

Discussion in 'Georgia' started by missnanc, May 8, 2011.

1. missnanc

missnanc Give me the fresh outdoors!

Anyone been here before? How about a review. Thanks!

2. Wizfisher

Wizfisher New Member

Been there, but it was about 12-13 years ago. We did like it though. Other than that I don't remember much of it.
    Our site was near the bathrooms at the south(?) end of the sites and there was a little waterfall nearby that we liked.

Hopefully others will chime in and give you a worthwhile review. [:D]

3. rmassing

rmassing New Member

I live just a few miles from the park. We enjoy it as a quick getaway from the house. Nice beach area and decent fishing. Easy to reach two Walmarts just 15 min. away if you forgot something.

Carroll County has taken control of the park and it is no longer a State Park. I do not know how much the camping costs now. Our State Park Pass is valid until the end of July so we haven't asked any questions but we have noticed that there weren't many campers.

We really like the park, but it is close to home for us.

4. missnanc

Thanks for all the info. We are looking for "quick getaways". I think this is about 50 miles from us, not too far away. A beach area and fishing will please GD and DH. I'll add this to our list of places to go.

5. papachaz

papachaz New Member

not sure where in AL you are, depending on which direction you're going to get to Tanner, but another one that's not far from the AL line is James H (Sloppy) Floyd State Park at Summerville. take plenty of leveling boards though, goodness last time we went there i used everything i had under one tire, and really could have used another one. the campground is nice though

6. missnanc

We are in NE Alabama just off I20. I'll have to check the map on where Summerville is though. I've seen James Sloppy SP on the park site. Thanks for the heads up on the park. :)

7. micbur

micbur Working on "Camp Burton"...Opening Soon!

Both the DW and I work in Carrollton and have taken our kids to birthday parties at the park. Looks like I nice park but can be busy on the weekends. Times I was there traffic and parking was a nightmare. Drove through the camping area and looked like one step up from private CG...sites were close except a few up near the entrance where there was no campsites behind yours. Again this was two years ago right after we purchased the PUP and were looking for places to camp. We like the more private buffered type sites so that might be why we did not care for it. They are currently working on two new county parks here in Carroll County GA and I know for sure one will have water/electric hookup sites (Little Tallapoosa Park on Hwy 113) and then there is just over 400 acres right behind our house that will also be a county park there on the Chattahoochee River.

Don't forget about the new SP - Chattahoochee Bend that is about 30 minutes further east from Tanner Park.

It opend today and here is a link to some pics

I visited the park today after work...just little over 15 minutes from our house.

Posted pics on another thread...the like to the thread is below. :)

http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?topic=48665.0

8. micbur

9. micbur

Here is driving directions off Hwy16/Alt Hwy 27 driving from the Carrollton GA or Whitesburg GA area...

From Hwy16/Alt 27 Turn right onto Wagers Mill Rd travel 3.3 mi and turn right onto Boone Rd travel 1.4 mi and turn left onto Payton Rd. travel .4 mi and turn right onto Mt. Carmel Rd. Travel 3 mi and turn right onto Bud Davis Rd. travel 1.8 mi and turn right onto Flatrock Rd. Continue straight 1 mi to Park entrance.

10. missnanc

A couple of weeks ago we finally made a trek over to John Tanner. Just a drive through. I have to agree with you. It is just a small park. The sites looked very close together with nothing between you and the next camper. Looked like it might be a bear trying to level the pup, too. The park area around the beach and playground (if I remember correctly) looked pretty well cared for but I can see it getting very crowded and having traffic jams. I'm still enjoying my memories of West Point. COEs are definitely spoiling us.

11. micbur

Yes...love the COE CG's...looks like Holiday, Whitetail Ridge or R Sheafer Heard for the Alzheimers Camping for Cause Rally I'm trying to organize. So easier to be able to reserve specific sites...

12. missnanc

Sounds great. Hope we can make it!