GA State Parks

Discussion in 'Georgia' started by PopUpMan, Jul 28, 2012.

1. PopUpMan

PopUpMan New Member

I saw in another thread fellow campers talking about how much they like camping at Georgia's State Parks. Count me in that group. I am on a mission to camp in all GSPs that I can. I've got a long way to go before hitting them all. lol But I'll have fun getting to that goal!

So I wanted to pass along a couple of things, just in case folks were not aware...

If you are not already a member of Friends of Georgia State Parks(http://friendsofgastateparks.org/), you should look into joining. I went for the Family Membership which came with 2 Park Passes and 2 free nights of camping. In addition, I also get a 10% discount on campsites and items in the camp stores.

Also, just because we are in PUPs doesn't mean we are not eligible for the Georgia State Parks RV Club (http://www.gastateparks.org/RVClub). This one is a freebie. Get a sticker for each night camping and after 10 get a free night.

Y'all might have already known about these...but wanted to put it out there just in case. And I'm still a noob to the forum, so please forgive me if posting this in here was a no-no.

Happy Camping!!!

2. BoomJammer

BoomJammer Jason

Great tips, PopUpMan. Thanks! What a great goal to have!

3. PopUpMan

PopUpMan New Member

You're quite welcome, BoomJammer!

4. papachaz

papachaz New Member

good tips sir, yes shared before, but it never hurts to renew everyone's memory on something :) a couple of things though. the 10% discount in the stores/visitor centers doesn't apply to consignment items, (like firewood) or food and drink. We love our family Friends membership, and if you buy at the first of the month, it's good through the end of that month next year. so if you're thinking about one, wait a few days until the first of august to buy. then it's good through august next year, when you can replace it first of sept, etc etc.....that way it's good for 13 months.

second is the ga rv club, it's actually stay 9 nights, get the tenth free. last week when we stayed at Watson Mill Bridge State Park, thursday was our free day, well according to the chart anyway.... we've got 13 of our 28 days so far this year in state parks, we love them!

5. PopUpMan

PopUpMan New Member

I knew it didn't apply to some items...but couldn't remember which. I've actually gotten the 10% on firewood when I've had other purchases and they lumped it all together then took the 10% off.

I should have looked at my Passport before making the post. I swear I thought it was 10 w/ 11th free...but you are correct. And every 10th is even better!

And great tip on buying at the 1st of the month...that didn't even occur to me!

6. papachaz

papachaz New Member

i thought it was 10 then free as well, the girl at Watson Mill was the one who corrected me. the few times i've tried to buy firewood, they didn't give me the discount on it, i guess it depends on who's working, or maybe you're just better lookin than me [LOL] [LOL] [LOL]

also, when we bought ours at Red Top Mtn, we went over in the middle of January to buy it, but weren't going to camp until the end of the month. the lady there was the one who told me to wait until we got there to camp, and she'd date everything the first of Feb, which was our last day camping that weekend. so there you go, the workers at the state parks are most of the time VERY friendly and helpful!

John Scarborough likes this.
  7. 3pillons

3pillons Press hard, Five copies.

For those with the "Friends of" memberships, you get two free noghts camping OR two free rounds of golf. The golf rates are usually higher than the camping rates if you are going to do both. I've played at "the Creek" (Hard Labor Creek SP) and the course at GA Veterans SP. Both were fantastic courses well worth playing again.

8. papachaz

papachaz New Member

ahh, good point 3pillions! there are also other benefits of the Friends membership, free entry into state historic sites like Etowah Indian Mounds or the Chief Vann House. we rode over to AH Stephens SP while we were at Watson Mill Bridge SP, but the AH Stephens house/museum is only open on weekends....the way some of them are struggling to make revenue, i think we'd go ahead and pay the entry fee, the membership has more than paid for itself with camping and purchases discounts.

but i had forgotten about the option of golf instead. wish my golfing days weren't over, i'd love to play those two courses. and i'd just bought a new set of callaway irons before my back surgeries!!! [V] [V]

9. GA Judy

GA Judy Active Member

We enjoy our Friends pass as well and just renewed it for the 2nd year. Even though we've been staying around home with the new twin grandsons (the pay is great in love and hugs!), we intend to get out there in the fall and then again later.....probably spring '13.