GA - Unicoi State Park

Discussion in 'Georgia' started by papachaz, Jan 24, 2012.

1. papachaz

papachaz New Member

i've been looking at this state park online. it looks great, almost all the camp sites appear to be on the water. thinking of going up there maybe around Valentines Day. anyone have any opinions on this one? we've done a lot of the GA state parks through the years, some we've loved, some we won't return to, but most are pretty decent.

also, any of you GA people belong to the "Friends of State Parks"? we're considering joining up with the family memership. for $75 you get: 2 parking passes (normally $50 each) which means no more paying the extra $5 per vehicle to park, you also get 2 free nights camping, and you get an additional 10% discount on camping and purchases after you use your 2 free nights. as much as we do the state parks, this will pay for itself in no time. heck the 2 nights camping is worth $56 and the parking passes.....seems to be money i'm going to spend anyway, right?

2. jackcamper

jackcamper Hello fellow campers!

Hi, we are from SC but belong to the Friends of Ga State Parks. It is an excellent deal and we use it frequently .

As for Unicoi state Prk, we have been there many times. The town of Helen is a real blast and waterfalls are really close. The lodge is very nice and has good meals also. As for the campground, it is a little old and although some sites are close, the park is an excellent spot to take many day trips to view the waterfalls and and just view the mountains. None of the sites are on the water, but it is a short hike to the lake where you can go fishing or kayaking. Good luck!

3. 3pillons

3pillons Press hard, Five copies.

We are also "friends" and i has paid for itself several times over by now. Excellent deal that really does pay for itself in only a few trips. Unicoi is on our list of parks to get to but haven't made it yet.

Ft. Yargo in Winder has about 10 sites right on it's lake and has loads of amenities. We paddle our canoe to the beach from the campsite and fish from the site all the time. It is our favorite park we have been to and it's only five minutes from the house.

Tugaloo also has sites on the water but lake Hartwell can get pretty busy with boaters so paddling around is a little tougher.

4. mgeiger

mgeiger New Member

Haven't heard of the friends deal. Very cool. http://friendsofgastateparks.org/

I have not been to Unicoi in years. Would like to hear more about the rv sites as well.

5. papachaz

papachaz New Member

thanks for the review! yeah we've been to Helen lots over the years. we've camped at Moccasin Creek not far from there and loved it. the hikes to the water falls are right up our list of 'likes'.
    funny that the map makes it look as if most of the RV sites are right on the water, yet none are? we may ride up there for a day trip and check it out soon.
    thanks for the replies! as for the Friends of State Parks, i figure two camping trips it pays for itself. 2 nights camping would be $56, and $5 per vehicle to park. since our oldest and her DH and DD usually come along, that's two vehicles, for another $10. so there's $66 of the $75 right there. one more trip and i actually make a buck back on parking, LOL. one of the ladies at Red Top Mtn State Park told me to wait until the first of the month to join up, that way it doesn't expire and have to be renewed until the end of that month next year. I'm thinking i'll join first of Feb, then next year, first of March....so on and so on.....LOL

6. carolinacampers

carolinacampers Nights camped: 2008-10, 2009-25, 2010-6.

We are "Friends" members-for the fourth year now. We find that the Georgia State Parks are clean and have more to offer as far as amenities. We use the 10% off for camping stays and gift shop purchases. We've been to almost every state park east of I-75 and south of I-20, plus Black Rock Mountain and Mistletoe.

7. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

Just got back from Unicoi State Park. Spent a Thursday and Friday night. Check-in is at the Visitor's Center which is at the back of the campground, which is a little different. You have to drive through a loop to get to the Check-in. If you are on that loop, there's traffic. Some sites have to hike down and up a hill to the restrooms. The sites can be close, but not unbearable. It is a large park, so the loops have some separation. There are areas for cabins, tents, and hillside platforms they call the "Squirrel's Nest". Has a lake for kayaking.

Anna Ruby Falls is right off the park. Hike to it is a little steep, but doable. It is unique being two creeks coming together, at different levels, to make a double fall.

Helen, GA is the typical tourist town. Friday lunch beside the creek was nice, watching the tubers try to navigate the rocks. Putt-putt course was shady. There was a line of cars coming in Saturday, so do Helen during the week.