[GA] Visited GA New State Park Today - Chattahoochee Bend SP [Photos]

Discussion in 'Campground / Trip Planning & Suggestions ?' started by micbur, Jul 1, 2011.

1. micbur

micbur Working on "Camp Burton"...Opening Soon!

Hi there....I just had to visit Georgia's newest state park after I got off work this afternoon. Today was its GRAND OPENING and since its just little over 15 minutes from our house. We could camp middle of the week and go to work from the CG. The DW said she could just stop by the house to get ready for work... [LOL]

Anyway....here are a few photos I took tonight. Planning to go back out Monday after everyone leaves the CG. Only problem I see is that they were excessive in cutting down trees around the sites. [:(]

But hopefully the trees will grow fast!! [;)]

[​IMG]
    Park Entrance

[​IMG]
    Straight to CG and Right to Visitor Center

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Visitor Center

[​IMG]
    My Jeep in the parking lot... [LOL]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Campground Area for Campers over 15ft

2. missnanc

missnanc Give me the fresh outdoors!

Great pics. Where's the park located?

3. missnanc

I saw your other topic about this park and the link to it. I see it is located in Newnan. From our house, it is a nice drive. I would much rather drive south east of us, than have to travel through Atlanta or Birmingham. I'll put Chattaoochee Bend on our list of places to visit.

4. micbur

[?:~{] You posted earlier about going to Tanner Park in Carrollton...don't have to drive through Atlanta to get to Chattahoochee Bend. If you were going to Tanner Park then the new park is just another 25-30 minute drive on Hwy16/Alt Hwy 26 from Carrollton. The park is closer to Whitesburg then Newnan, If you used the address on the state web site it takes you like across I-85 and such. If it did then would you not wonder why it no where near the river??

I'm just guess this as it did this for me and based on you thinking you need to go through Atlanta and Newnan GA

5. micbur

Don't use the address on the State Park Website for driving directions to the park. If you do it will take you way off east of I-85 near Newnan GA

Here is map of the park location...it is in Coweta County but closer to Whitesburg GA and the Chattahoochee River

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Chattahoochee+Bend+State+Park,+Newnan,+GA&hl=en&ll=33.431155,-84.981651&spn=0.222625,0.348473&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=53.477264,89.208984&z=12

Here is driving directions off Hwy16/Alt Hwy 27 driving from the Carrollton GA or Whitesburg GA area...

From Hwy16/Alt 27 Turn right onto Wagers Mill Rd travel 3.3 mi and turn right onto Boone Rd travel 1.4 mi and turn left onto Payton Rd. travel .4 mi and turn right onto Mt. Carmel Rd. Travel 3 mi and turn right onto Bud Davis Rd. travel 1.8 mi and turn right onto Flatrock Rd. Continue straight 1 mi to Park entrance.

6. missnanc

Sorry about that, I guess my post was a bit confusing, my mind is getting a bit foggy. I just meant that I like the countryside drives, two lane roads. I only mentioned Atlanta as I don't care to drive through there, at least when towing. If we ever decide to go to Lake Hartwell, we'll just have to find an alternate route, rather than I20 and I85, or whichever it is...

7. papachaz

papachaz New Member

thanks for the pics and info Mike! i should done more reading before i started a thread asking about this one. are any of the sites close enough to be able to see the water?

we'll hit this one sometime soon, i'm in rockmart, will have to look at a map to see which way would be closest for us, maybe through Villa Rica.... :)

8. micbur

There are two RV camping areas at the park. One handles RVs up to 40' and the other area is tent and pop-up campers not over 15' but not any really near the river.

Go to Villa Rica to Carrollton and then through Whitesburg. Park is just 15 miles from Whitesburg [:D]

9. dgarbers

dgarbers New Member

Thanks for posting all of those pictures, Micbur! Hope you guys are doing well. I'm so impressed that you went to the park; it's just too darn hot and humid for me/ us.

It does look like they cut a ton of trees. I hope they sold them to help fund the construction, at least!

Definitely not a summer or late Spring park for us - we like the wooded sites too much.

We only have one reservation for Fall - I should probably make a few more, just to get them on our calendar.

10. papachaz

papachaz New Member

we were just discussing saving this one for cooler weather also. i'm with you, i like the wooded sites too

11. papachaz

papachaz New Member

re opening this thread to give our opinions. DW and I took a day trip today to this State Park. some pro's and con's

Pros:
    fairly new park and everything still looks new
    playgrounds at the campsites and boat ramp areas make me wish i was a kid again, or least able to TRY, LOL
    visitor center appeared well stocked and the lady there was very nice
    hiking trails well marked, and there are plenty
    there was a really nice porch swing set up overlooking the river at the boat ramp
    campsites looked pretty level and were not crowded 'too close' together
    the roads in are in good shape
    rangers actually live in the park, problems should be really minimal
    centrally located bath houses in each camping area

Cons:
    do NOT follow your GPS. as Micbur said in an above post, this will take you to a completely different place on the other side of the interstate
    do NOT do google maps. it will take you to the north side of the park on Flat Rock Rd, which has been gated. even though this would be about 4 miles closer than following the directions/signs
    above posted comments about excessive tree cutting are totally and completely accurate. don't go expecting to find a shady site, for a few years anyway.
    wide open campsites, not much privacy between sites unless you get one of the ones that face the woods (goes along with the excessive tree cutting they did)
    not a lot of grass around the sites has come in yet. be ready for the kids and dogs to get muddy
    even though this park borders the Chattahoochee River for several miles, there is no access to fishing if you don't have a boat. very limited bank fishing.
    no sites on the water except a few platform sites. was told that side of the park is subject to flooding if the river rises.
    one area of the campground is not opening until enough public funding comes in to finish it. that's what the lady there said.
    the road in was hilly and curvy, reminded me of driving through the smokey mtns.
    there seems to be a lot of totally wasted area in this park. who knows what they are planning for the future though.

all in all, other than hiking the trails, finding the geocache and the playground areas, there's nothing to do there. not enough in the playgrounds to keep kids occupied for very long at all. if you don't have a boat to fish out of, go here only if you're looking to sit around camp (in the sun)
    we're not sure we'll be going back. at least until some of the trees grow back

12. shaw988

shaw988 New Member

Thanks for posting. My family needs another "weekend test park" to get or camper ready for Spring. It's far enough away so I can get a feel for my TV and close enough if we need to repair something from the winter nap. Stone Mountain was getting old.
    Regards,

13. papachaz

papachaz New Member

Hey Shaw! i did stay there this past weekend, did a write up on it over in the 'tell us about your trip' section. all in all, it was better than i thought it would be!

14. jjkach

jjkach New Member

Gtreat pics of the park. Ga has some great places to camp!