GA - Vogel State Park

Discussion in 'Georgia' started by oxrock, Jun 26, 2007.

1. oxrock

oxrock New Member

Just got back from a short trip to the Smoky Mountains. We spent two nights at Vogel State Park in northern Georgia and it has got to be one of the nicest parks I have been to in a long time. It is the largest and second oldest state park in Georgia. The grounds are very clean and the people are very nice. They have a daily schedule of activities for the kids, put-put golf (small), sandy swimming beach, paddle boats, volleyball, playground, hiking trails for all ages and a very nice little 20-acre lake with its own waterfall. I think they have over a one hundred camping sites. Some of them are so far back in the woods, the sun never gets to you. The prices at the general store/office were very reasonable. Not any higher than at the grocery store. They have about 500,000 people come through the park annually, so make reservations early. I really enjoyed it there. If you are wanting to check out Georgia state parks, here is a link www.gastateparks.org And don't forget, if you're from Texas, as I am, don't go just jumping into the water. It's COLD!

2. 2redheads

2redheads New Member

Vogel is a gem. The water is actually one of the best features in the summer. It is cold, but very refreshing for the kids especially. Only drawback (which all depends on how you view this) is cell phones DO NOT work. You have to use the payphone at the main office. If you want to get away and not be bothered, Vogel is your place.

Ken
    Elizabeth
    Zach
    Kyrie
    04 Dodge Durango HEMI
    99 Coleman Santa Fe

3. Calman

Calman Member

I concur 100% that VSP is a gem. I spent a night there in April on my NC to CA to NC trip and was fasinated with the layout and cleanliness. If not for the fact I had Lake Santeelah (Western NC) in my sights for the next day I would have stayed an extra day. Check my photos for a couple of pics (20, 21, 22) taken at VSP.

And, the Office Staff were extraordinarily friendly, helpful and courteous.

Cal - "On the Road Again"
    00 - Chevy Tracker
    07 - Aspen Sentry
    17 - Days on the road in 07

Edited by - Calman on June 28 2007 18:52:53

4. Mr_Custom

Mr_Custom Member

We had some nice times at Vogel. There is a trout farm not too far away... I think it is called Black Mountain Trout farm. There is lots of fishing around but if you want a guaranteed meal that's the place. Our young ones had a great time and the folks there even cleaned them!

Mr_Custom
    Antigonish, NS
    2005 Chev Trail Blazer
    97 F-150
    03 Coleman Sun Valley

5. 3pillons

3pillons Press hard, Five copies.

Maybe things have changed, but we were less than impressed. We felt the park and it's amenities were outstanding, but we didn't care for the CG very much. It was very difficult to navigate through (narrow one lane but two direction roads with tight turn arounds), a lot of the sites were small, close together, and not level, one even had a tree right in the middle of the camper pad! ( I moved my truck from my own site so that a new neighbor would have the room to back in across the street). The bathhouses were dirty and wet the entire time with mud on the floor which forced us to shower in the camper. Showering in the camper would've have been fine, but the water pressure was so poor that you had to run around to get wet. The climate was nice, but I think there are nicer camping opportunities to be had.

6. carolinacampers

carolinacampers Nights camped: 2008-10, 2009-25, 2010-6.

Ga State Parks are our favorites based on the many pleasant experiences we have had similar to oxrock's. For the most part each park has been clean. Each one offers lots to do, whether it's local history, nature-based activites, outdoor recreation, golf courses, or water parks.
    We only had one bad experience at a GSP since becoming PUP campers three years ago. This was at Magnolia Springs State Park, and it occured on a holiday weekend (Memorial Day) when the campground was full. Some of the campers were contract workers working in the area and staying at the campground. Evidently, they thought they were an exception to all the rules. They were up half the night (every night) listening to loud music and playing frisbee in between other campers' sites. They were drinking and cussing out-of-control the entire time. Not one ranger drove through to monitor the situation. Then, there were drainage problems in the shower house, causing all of the shower drains to overflow onto the floors. In addition, the comfort centers were not cleaned the entire weekend. The soap, paper towel, and toilet paper dispensers were empty by Saturday morning, and not replenished. Add to the flooding and mud from the high traffic, it was really gross. Even after we complained nothing was done. I honestly believe there were no park rangers at the place the whole weekend. [:O]
    3pillions may want to give VSP another chance. After two years we decided to give Magnolia Springs another chance. Things were much better the second time around, and we have even made a few more trips there since. Now it is one of our favorite campgrounds!