Galveston Camping

Discussion in 'Texas' started by apesydaisy, Apr 5, 2013.

1. apesydaisy

apesydaisy New Member

Has anyone camped at a Galveston campground in the last year (2012-2013)? The last threads I saw on here were from 2009 while hurricane clean up was still ongoing. I have been to Galveston itself several times over the last year because it's only a 2 hour drive from where I live, but I haven't ever checked out campgrounds before because I didn't even know they had some until now. Any new information would be helpful. Thanks!

[PUC] [PUT] April

2. austinm48

austinm48 http://s1174.photobucket.com/albums/r604/austinm48

There's actually two there one close in and the state one that's further out .... Try for the state one the private one that's closer to Galveston they pack you in like sardines .... The boardwalk I've heard is cool its where the flagship hotel was , if you want to ride the ferry park in the parking lot and walk on its quicker and if there's a long line your not stuck in it on the other side....... On occasion dolphins follow the ferry. Eat at the spot its on seawall blvd. 39 1/2 and o is shrimp and stuff .... Its pretty good too

3. apesydaisy

apesydaisy New Member

Thanks for the info. I'm glad to know some more details about the park, especially that the private one is more crowded. I like more space, especially with our two dogs. We love to head out there and have always had to stay in hotels, but they are so expensive. Now that we have our PUP we get to go more often!

4. Indy

Indy Member

We stayed there in Feb so we could go to Mardi Gras. I've stayed there many times in the past prior to the hurricane. They permanently lost some sites due to beach erosion -- it was nicer pre-hurricane, but it's in good working order again. Even at the state park, on the beach side things are pretty close together. On the bay side there's a bit more space and there's some paddling trails, but you're not as close to the beach. When I was there, it was off season and there was quite a bit of seaweed on the beach that wasn't regularly cleaned up. I'm not sure they clean up the seaweed like they do over on the seawall so the beaches aren't as pretty, but it could just be that it was off season when I was there.

Here's a pis to give you an idea what to expect on the beachside camping. I was sitting at our picnic table with neighbors just behind us. You can see the next picnic table over and the motorhome parked next door - quite close together. To the left of this photo we did have a grassy area with a fire ring. When we were there, the bathrooms were clean and ok but not great. We didn't spend a lot of time at the beach area - it was chilly. We usually use this as a home base for sleeping, then cruise over to Crystal Beach or to the seawall.

[​IMG]

5. austinm48

austinm48 http://s1174.photobucket.com/albums/r604/austinm48

The state one may not be open ... If its still not fixed from the hurricane a while ago..... If you let your friends know when you will be at the spot there's a webcam on the deck outside and you can wave to everyone on it ......

6. Penny Logan

Penny Logan The traveling teepee in her Dreamcatcher

Shrimp and Stuff at 39 1/2 and O st is the bomb they give you so much food and it is great. The state park gives you more room that any of the private ones. They have done tree carvings on the trees that were knocked down during Hurricane Ike or Gustav. I love Galveston, TX [8D]

7. apesydaisy

apesydaisy New Member

Thanks guys! Thanks, Indy, for the pic...those picnic tables look kind of cool. We go to Galveston a lot, we've just never camped before, always gotten a hotel. I so appreciate you guys sending info and when we are able to go, we'll send pics! :)

8. bloozeharp

bloozeharp New Member

We like the state park but we camp on the bay side because fishing is our thing. We are trying a new place this month tho, brazoria county park. It is just across the big bridge at san luis pass. Have been at the park several times but never camped. Looks to be quite nice. No tent camping, just rv spots.

9. Roy and Janet Bowman

Roy and Janet Bowman Poppin' Up from Aggieland

We're camping at Galveston SP later this month. Looking at the map, it appears there are no showers/bathrooms in the water & electric loop n the bay side. Is that correct?

10. rolisrntex

rolisrntex New Member

I believe that is correct. The showers and restrooms are on the beach side. The TPWD web site there is construction going on in the bay side camground as well. I tried to reserve a spot there for the weekend of the 9/20 but it is booked. We are going down to Matagorda instead. I will report back out findings down there.

11. Roy and Janet Bowman

Roy and Janet Bowman Poppin' Up from Aggieland

The tent camping loop on the bay side has one of the nicest SP bathhouses I've seen. Of course it is brand-new since Ike. But it is much nicer than the beach side loops have.

We deployed the porta-potti and it was fine. Good breeze. Hot as blue blazes though. And lots of skeeters. But what can you expect in August?