gap between trailer and storage truck

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by G-Man, Sep 5, 2011.

1. G-Man

G-Man New Member

I noticed a gap between the front of the popup box and the storage truck on the street side of my 2001 Coleman/Fleetwood Westlake. It looks to me like the truck has pulled away from the pup. I am thinking that I can repair the cracks with MEK and a lego, but I don't know what to do about the separation

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. mv520

mv520 Active Member

Your gong to need to climb underneath the PUP see if screws/bolts are missing or pulled out, and if any supporting wood on the floor or front bulkhead is rotten, brackets are missing, etc. and then then do the same inside the trunk and from inside the PUP until you locate every single way the trunk is supposed to be mounted to the rest of the body, and repair.

I have the newer style trunk which is a totally separate unit from the body so I can't help on the above details for yours, but looking at the picture, I really don't think that parting line that has opened up isn't something you want to attempt to gap fill with fill ABS (legos). It will look bad, and structurally isn't going to keep the parts from further shifting. I'd find and fix the root cause of the shift, then repair the (now closed up after the repair) parting line however it originally was held together (foam gasket or urethane caulk?).

3. G-Man

G-Man New Member

My plan is to repair the cracks in the ABS with MEK/Lego slurry not to try to seal the seam between the trunk and box. I'll probably use butyl tape to seal the seams

4. G-Man

G-Man New Member

The floor is solid. There are bolts coming through the floor near where the trunk butts against the main box, but I'm not sure what keeps the top of the trunk from pulling forward and away from the box. I am hoping not to have to remove the ABS skin as I'm sure that will result in more cracks.

5. n6nvr

n6nvr New Member

Pulling the beds out too hard contributing to the problem, maybe?? I have a 2001 Cheyenne and have the same assembly and that is pulling way too far apart. Wonder if there some screws pulling out. If there are I would consider replacing with bolts and fender washers.

Plus the trunk is ABS and the main body is painted metal, I don't think legos and mek are going to work once it gets pulled together a flexible caulk that will stick to both is going to be needed.

6. 1madscot

1madscot Member

Is the gap smaller at the bottom than at the top? It almost looks like there is some degree of frame twist going on, causing the box to separate. I'd check to see if that is happening, and if so, what is causing it. Once you get the frame dealt with, the gap should close back up, then just reseal the seam with some silicone or whatever caulk you choose.

7. Flyfisherman

Flyfisherman New Member

G-Man ~ I'm thinking that is the nature of the beast, i.e., a design flaw from the get-go. Have seen other posts, same kind of unit, with the same problem. I had a '96 Coleman/Fleetwood with the front storage compartment and water leaks were a way of life! Concentrated on the cover as being the source of the leaks but it came out later that it was leaking water at the same location as your post ... but certainly not as extreme!
    Could you use the fiberglass mesh tape for a base and then fiberglass over it to fill that gap(?)

8. cico7

cico7 Friend request denied.

look behind the craacked areas, that is where the stress is. the pic looks like it has bulged out. look there. harbor freight has a mini cam for inspections on sale. they can get you into small areas.

9. RFryer

RFryer Hopkinton, MA

10. jmcclung11

jmcclung11 Active Member

Mine looks the exact same way. I just put some caulk over it and it works just fine to stop the leak. When I notice the caulk coming off, I just put some more on! It has got me through the last 2 years! If it gets me through 2 more years, that will be great. As my current camper plans to become home base for Huntin Camp where it will be inside a building and out of the rain. We will plan on purchasing a better/new pup or go to a hybrid.

11. G-Man

G-Man New Member

Well, the lid on the cargo box was in bad shape. According to the previous owner someone tried to break in and had cracked the lid around the catch for the latches; it also had a crack across the top. I have a connection at a body shop and had them rebuild the lid. They also found that the screws that attach the cargo box to the main trailer were loose and tightened everything up which pulled the cargo box back into place. A little chalk to seal the crack where the cargo box meets the trailer and its good as new. Hope this helps anyone else with the same issue. Thanks for all the advise.

12. Alberto

Alberto New Member

Its pulling apart due to water damage got in side the screws are pulling away

13. cbrewis

cbrewis New Member

mine did the same thing the separation was caused by the MDF wall that separates the storage box from the camper had gotten wet causing it to swell this is what caused my problem its impossible to fix with out dismantling the entire box. Don't feel the need to rebuild the box back factory I noticed several ways to improve the construction of the box.

14. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Click on my [CAM] button (to the left under my name), I did a rear panel repair on my coleman and there photos of a front box repair. I think you will find it interesting.